1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help identifying a Fender Jazz Bass model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rorok_89, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Rorok_89

Rorok_89

Hello good people of TalkBass. I recently bought a second-hand Fender Jazz Bass from a guy who was in a hurry to sell because he needed the money. I ended up buying it from him taking a bit of a risk, because he gave me no time to do a proper check of the instrument model. I decided to go with it because a bass player friend of mine said it looked authentic and the price (800 euros or 1104USD) was very low for a bass which was almost brand new.

He said it was an American Vintage Jazz Bass, '74 style, made in 2006 and bought by him in Switzerland in 2013, for an original price (with a little discount, he said) of 1600 euros (about 2196 USD at today's rate). I checked the serial number, which confirms the manufacturing date, and then I tried to see that exact bass in any online store to confirm that was the model, but it turns out there are like a gazillion variations of the Fender Jazz Bass and I was unable to find one that looks exactly the same as the one I bought, wich left me feeling a bit uneasy. Also, it's my first bass. I'm an experienced guitar player, but I've only ever held 3 or 4 basses in my hands so I'm a bit out of my element here.

So, in case any of you guys is kind and expert enough to take the time to take a look at my description and illuminate me a little bit, a million thanks in advance. Here we go:

[​IMG]

The finish is quite good in my opinion. I haven't managed to distinguish if the body is made of one, two or three parts (I don't know how many should they be). The paint looks perfectly flat across the back of the body. The finish is a Sunburst and the pickguard is red and black, with a white-black-white border around the edges.

The neck seems made of maple, varnished, and the fretboard looks like made of mahogany. It has white block inlays and 20 frets.

[​IMG]

The tone and volume pots are metallic. In most of the Fender basses I've seen online, the pots are made of black plastic, but since it's a relatively old model I don't know. Also, the bridge pickup seems too low. I haven't asked the previous owner yet about that. Should I rise it up a little bit?

[​IMG]

The headstock reads: Fender Jazz Bass, made in USA, and has a little detail that reads "Original contour body". The Jazz Bass lettering is almost straight. In most other models I've seen it takes a more pronounced curve along the curve of the headstock. Maybe that graphic was redesigned recently.

[​IMG]

Behind the headstock, you can see the serial number, which as far as I know just confirms it was made in 2006. I don't know if it can help to identify the exact model. Also, I've seen that in some Fender basses the tuners have the Fender logo engraved in them. These ones don't.

[​IMG]

And finally, the neck binding plaque, which reads "Fender, Corona, California".

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS:

The bass has a couple of signs of use here and there: a little dent in the pickguard's edge, another little dent in the finish where it joins the neck, etc. Along with some subtle imperfections in the little black inlays at the side of the neck.

Aside from that, the neck feels extremely solid. It plays very comfortably (from a guitar player's point of view), and there is no fret buzz in any of the frets as far as I've tested. The tone and volume knobs feel solid and sturdy, and they roll nicely all the way. I plugged it in an old Laney amp and it seems the electronics are alright.

I think it is a quality instrument, regardless of what the exact model is. Still, I'd feel more at ease if I could look at another bass which was exactly like this in a catalog which confirmed me "Yep, this bass costs 1800 euros brand new". So if any of you guys know this model and can confirm it is an American Vintage, and that it should cost around the aforementioned price (or at least the price I paid for it), I would sleep a little better.

Thanks for your time and I hope to become a regular in this forum as I keep buying equipment for this baby. Cheers!
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
  3. Matthijs

Matthijs

The Z6 serial number corresponds with a standard american made bass in 2006.
  4. BowserBass

BowserBass

The bridge pickup looks like its has a neck pickup cover over it. Totally weird, none of the poles line up to the pickup cover holes. But the cover seems to fit the routing @ the bridge perfectly. I'm wondering if that's a MIM body with a MIA neck? Just a guess.
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It's definitely not an American Vintage series bass. The neck plate would have the SN on it starting with a V. There would be no SN on the headstock.

Other things I don't like:
    The SN does correspond to an American Standard made in 2006...BUT:
    The tuners are wrong
    The bridge is wrong
    The logo looks wrong
    The SN looks wrong
    The neck shouldn't have blocks on it
    The truss rod adjustment should be at the heel, not the headstock
    The neck plate looks strange
    The bridge pickup looks really strange
    The knobs are strange
  6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Looks a little bit like a 70's Vintage Modified Squier, some of the parts do anyway.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Hmmm........looks like you did take a risk. Any chance of you getting your money back? I missed the truss rod adjust at the headstock. US Jazz necks have them at the heel. I have a bass with a Squier VM Bound & Blocked neck. But mine has a maple board with black blocks. Do they make them with Rosewood/Pearl blocks?

Edit: Could be a Squier VM Jaguar neck. They are Rosewood/Pearl blocks. Or aftermarket neck. Or those are stickers.
  8. mongo2

mongo2

Yes, it looks like a fake.
  9. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Sorry to tell you, but this def looks like a fake. Next time do a full check and tell the guy to wait. You overpaid but it's not the end of the world. It looks like it is usable if you switch out the bridge pickup cover. I'm sure it will still sound great.
  10. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Its a knockoff....the headstock pics are clear giveaway. The round washerlike piece that holds the D and G strings down is some kind of cheap lookin die cast part instead of the real machined piece. The stickers are wrong width(too thin). The headstock on the back where it blends with the neck is hard edged and cnc done(more like a lakland skyline). The fenders are more sanded and hand blended. Wrong knobs...not even the correct knurl that fender put on their P's. Pickup poles on am vintage models were level with covers like an original 70s...not sticking out. Dont even ask me what pickup configuration is in that bridge..doesnt even look like it has poles on the E and A string. I could go on and on but even $250 squires look more "fendery" than that thing. Looks like those cheap chinese strat knock offs. Sorry dude...u been had...
  11. capnjim

capnjim

When I saw the grain of wood on the front of the headstock I thought squier right away. Squiers all seem to have those little brown flecks.
    Hopefully you can get a refund?
  12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Not a Fender Jazz Bass. 100% Fake.
  13. aetheldrea

aetheldrea

Bummer, dude. you paid about 725 euros too much for this thing. definitely not a Fender of any kind.
  14. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
  15. Rorok_89

Rorok_89

Well **** me. I should have done this before buying, but the "low" price tempted me. I did a bank transfer for the dude, I'll call the bank and try to cancel it. Thanks for the help guys.
  16. Lownote38

Lownote38

The way it says "Jazz Bass" on the headstock is a dead giveaway to me. If it is a Fender or Squier, someone did a terrible job at putting a new logo on the headstock.
  17. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

yeah the logo is wrong for a 70's reissue

the nut area transition/volute at the back looks too steep for American Fenders, looks more like the Crafted in China style
  18. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

here's how the headstock should look on a real AVRI '75 Jazz Bass (which was the only '70s reissue in the AVRI line in 2006). This is a bass I used to own. Note the serial number on the face of the headstock, bullet truss rod and no 'contour' decal.

[​IMG]

Also it would have a 3 bolt neck plate with microtilt like this

[​IMG]
  19. Rorok_89

Rorok_89

Ok guys, things are pretty clear. I just took it to the store and the guy confirmed it was a total fake. The funny thing is, I called the guy who sold it to me and he claims to have no idea it was a fake. He said he bought it from an online store in Switzerland along with a Marcus Miller and another Fender bass, spending about 5000 euros between the three instruments. He says he will send my money back and take his bass ASAP, and showed interest in taking his other basses to the store to check their authenticity.

So I'll keep you updated. The guy seemed genuinely sorry, but I'll believe him when I see my money back in the bank. Then if he actually paid 1600 euros for a knockoff I will feel genuinely sorry for him. In any case, I've learnt a valuable lesson: never buy something in a hurry for fear of missing a hot deal. I hope this thread can serve as a warning for the future generations. Thanks for your inmediate and accurate replies, which were crucial to solving this issue soon, as I just bought the bass yesterday. Take care, guys.

PS: Boy do I feel like an idiot reading my first post now, thinking it looked like a "quality instrument". There were plenty of warnings in the lacquer finish, side of the fretboard and other parts for me to see that this was in no way a 1600€ instrument, but I had checked it in my car, at night, under less than favorable lighting conditions, and they slipped past me. That won't happen again.
  20. RobSatFender

RobSatFender Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Director, Customer Service, Fender
    The serial number traces back to an Am. Tele ......(2006 is right tho) (sorry)
    All the best,
    rob