1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help Identifying A Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ether790, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ether790

ether790

Hi all, first post here. I was hoping to get a bit of help identifying a bass that I'm hoping to pick up soon. To be more specific, I want to confirm some details about a Fender P-Bass Special Deluxe. The seller has told me that the bass has been pretty heavily modded, but I want to make sure that the neck is the Jazz-inspired "P-bass Special Deluxe" neck (I find it a bit more comfortable than the P-Bass neck). He's informed me that the person he bought the bass from told him that it's the original neck, but it just seems weird that it only says Precision bass unlike the others that I've seen. Here are a couple of pictures. Any help is greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Measure the nutt.

Those are aftermarket Fender tuners. Hard to tell in the pic, but they actually look like Vintage late-'60s/early-'70s.

3. ether790

ether790

Ah, I didn't even think of that! Thanks for the idea, Jazz necks always have a nut width of 1.5 inches right?

4. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

They're original '68-'76 tuners. Neck seem like a standard Mexi P neck from the mid 90s. Not a special, methinks

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. landau roof

Almost always. Deluxe P Specials do.

7. landau roof

Yeah, I don't think they made the Specials in '95, but not positive.