1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help identifying bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spinfreak, Aug 15, 2013.

1. spinfreak

spinfreak

Hi y'all. First off, let me say thanks for any help y'all can give me. Sadly, I have absolutely zero knowledge of music...well, I listen, but don't know jack squat when it comes to making it, or instruments. In trying to find info about this bass, I came across this forum, and figured someone here would know some info.

I'm looking for a manufacturer/name, more than anything. But a possible value would be helpful also, as well as the best place to sell it (I sell some stuff on eBay, but like I said, I have zero knowledge of instruments, so not sure if there's somewhere better to sell).

Anyway, the only thing I know is that it was manufactured in Japan. I can't find any markings on it. There is a loose tag inside the guitar case, but I'm not sure if it belongs to the bass or not, as a google search comes up blank. The front of the tag says "John Roberts Inc", and the rear of the tags says the same, as well as "NY, NY 10018", and has "RN 23973" and "Style 4050". I'm thinking the tag is either from something totally different, or possibly from the case itself???

Here's some pics of the bass...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any and all help :)

2. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Because you're new here, we're not supposed to do any valuations. But, it appears that this is a Japanese seventies P-bass clone. Some of these were very well made, and can make great players, but they aren't generally worth a whole lot... somewhere along the lines of a used Squier, usually.

The tag appears to be a clothing tag. You can throw that away.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

It's a typical Japanese "lawsuit" Jazz Bass copy. They were imported under many different brand names. Some are better than others, typically the models with maple necks are better but what you have going for you is the fact that it's in near perfect shape and it's complete with all the covers and the case...that strap is worth a little bit as well.

You should check sold ebay listings for value, search terms like "mij" and "lawsuit bass". If you list it make sure to show some pictures with the metal bridge and pickup covers removed as well.

4. millsbass5

millsbass5

Definitely post some pics with the chrome covers removed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spinfreak

spinfreak

Thanks. I truly appreciate the help. I did a quick search on eBay, and there's loads of listing under both "mij" and "lawsuit bass", and selling prices are all over the place. I'll have to do a more through search this weekend when I have more time, but st least it gives me a starting point.

And while I don't know squat about instruments, you are right, in that it appears to be in near mint condition. Also, I can't really compare it to anything, but the construction seems to be fairly decent quality...it's heavy and solid.

Aside from somebody coming along and being able to positively ID this particular bass, or me finding it on eBay, and seeing as you can't give me a value since I'm new here, would y'all possibly be able to tell me what the best route would be to sell it? Would just throwing it on eBay, and hoping it gets bid up be my best option? Or list it for a buy it now price? Or would something like Craigslist be better?

Thanks again

7. spinfreak

spinfreak

I'll take, and post, a few pics tomorrow. Thanks

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

One of the brands that comes to mind is Lincoln, although most that I've seen had the name on the headstock. I have one from many years ago. It was a Fender Jazz Bass to every detail except the tuners and the truss rod cover - just like yours. As stated, value can fall in a wide section. I'd start on CL to see if any interest. Then decide whether to adjust the price and/or move to Ebay. :cool:

9. wvbass

wvbass

Oops.

10. Co0O

Co0O Supporting Member

It looks very much like my first bass, which was a late 70's Cimar Jazz Bass copy. Headstock, tuss rod cover, sunburst, inlays, tuning machines, pickguard looks exactly the same. But the Cimar decal is missing. I think the bridge had two saddles (tele-style) instead of four - check under the cover.