Help identifying my neck pick up on Epiphone Rumblekat

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shorengro, Dec 6, 2012.

1. shorengro

shorengro

My first post here. I have an Epiphone "Allen Woody" Rumblekat. All is good with it. Bought it second hand with correct hard case about 2 months ago here in Australia. One thing that I don't get is that my neck pick up has six screw, or pole pieces instead of the four that are on the bridge. All photos I've seen of the instrument have them four for both. What's the difference? Can someone explain it to me?
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Somebody must have replaced the original with a guitar mini humbucker.
  3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

+1
  4. shorengro

shorengro

I thought that might be the case. Maybe why I'm surprised the sound isn't so boomy with just the neck pick up on...thanks.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shorengro

shorengro

I must say though the neck (guitar ) pickup does lack some volume, as compared to the bass middle Pup. I have not used it at high volume as yet...Will it stand up do you think? Also why would someone do that?
  7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The previous owner probably changed it to get less mud. Gibson/Epiphone bass pickups are often overwound to a disadvantage. There aren't too many mini humbucker bass pickups on the market, but they could have used the bridge pickup from an EB-3. Not sure it would sound any different from the guitar pickup though, but at least it would have 4 pole pieces.
  8. shorengro

shorengro

Thanks SGD that is the answer I was hoping to get....When I turn the guitar pickup down about a third it seems to increase in volume slightly and hit a sweet spot when combined with the middle pick on full.
  9. shorengro

shorengro

At least its matching gold...lol
  10. shorengro

shorengro

SGD you said an EB3 bridge pickup would/may be the same as a guitar pickup...why is that?