1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help identifying this Jazz pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StefanMarinov, Jan 4, 2014.

1. StefanMarinov

StefanMarinov

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased this pickup form Ebay USA (I'm in London UK). It was stated as a genuine early 70's Jazz bass pickup.

Well I received it a few days ago and it looks nothing as I expected. I already have a pair of 70s pups in my Jazz and they look different, more like most photos of 70s pickups that I've seen. But this one doesn't:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=384234&stc=1&d=1388849485

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=384235&stc=1&d=1388849485

As you can see there's a tape covering the coil, also on the second photo if you look closely you can see the colour of the wire that doesn't look typical for that Fender era (from what I know).

Any advice will be appreciated as I need to decide what to do... I've already informed the seller about my concern however I don't want to miss the legal 14 days return policy time...

Thanks
    Steff

Attached Files:

2. GlennW

GlennW

The maget wire appears to be Formvar, which was used in the '70s. PE (auburn/purple) was also used.

I think it's Fender pickup (see number stamp) which has been repaired and/or rewound; that would explain the leads and the tape.

3. StefanMarinov

StefanMarinov

Thanks mate, I thought that too, was just hoping if anyone has seen a rewind like this before (especially the tape) cos it might have been possible to identify who is it done by and evaluate it.

What do you think it's worth in its current state? The seller has offered me a refund or $80 if I wanna keep it as it is... It costed me $195 posted, plus another $35 import and handling fees.

4. GlennW

GlennW

I have no idea what it's worth, and that tape doesn't tell me anything either.

I'd guess a "real" pickup winder would use different tape, but it's only tape and you use what you can get.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StefanMarinov

StefanMarinov

Thanks for replying mate, I got a good refund from the seller and I get to keep it as a spare so it's not a big loss after all...

Steff