Help identifying two Eminence Delta 15" speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bedroommuso, Feb 10, 2013.

1. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

I have acquired two 15" Eminence "Delta" speakers that have come from different sources. Now being relatively unfamiliar to this brand and bass speakers in general, I found that there a few different models of Eminence Deltas (e.g. Delta 15-A or Delta 15 Pro etc.) to complicate things, so what I am trying to find out is if these two speakers are significantly different, slightly different or identical.

The first "Delta" I have matches the 1st picture (specifically the label), and is in a cab from 1999 marked 300W 8 ohms. This speaker also has "Eminence" written on the dust cover of the speaker. I believe this is the stock speaker from this cab. This speaker looks older. I assume it's the cheapest Delta that eminence has (15A), but the 300W doesn't match the current Delta-15A spec, which is 400W.

The second "Delta" I have matches the 2nd picture (" "), and is not the stock speaker from this cab. It does NOT have Eminence written on the dust cover. This one looks newer - i.e. the outer circumference of the speaker cone is fairly glossy. The seller claimed this speaker was "new" when I bought the cab, but who knows.. The cab didn't list a wattage nor do I think it was the stock speaker so I can't give any possible specs.

Both are USA made if that means anything.

Could anyone shed some light?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks

Disclosures:
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    15a's. The bottom label is from years ago.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

There are a number of possibilities as to why a speaker can look a little different.

Labels can vary if the speakers are bought by an OEM to install in their cabs. There could have a custom label which is different than what you would see if you bought it from a retailer, or there could be no label at all. Sometimes manufacturers tweak the specs a little, perhaps changing the cone thickness or the amount of dope around the edge, and claim that it is a custom design. It helps with marketing.
  4. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

This is the authoritative answer.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bedroommuso

bedroommuso

Thanks for the input. Does this mean the bottom label is older than the top label then? And does anyone know roughly when the label was changed?