Help! Is Hartke LH 1000 fits in Gator GR-2US rack case?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lifer_, Dec 15, 2013.

1. lifer_

lifer_

Hi, guys! Need an advice here.
    I'm planning to purchase Hartke LH 1000 head with HX410 stack and also want to purchase a plastic Gator rack case. So, my dilemma is which one to take GR-2US (shallow) or I'll need a deeper version like GR-2UL.
    I really don't need a bigger rack at the moment than 2U, but it'll be nice to pack some cables inside,too. The main is to have a compact setup and to protect the amp.

Is there someone that use this case for his LH 1000 or LH 500 (they are the same size)? Are you happy with it? :)

Should I think of the bigger one like GR-2UL, cause if that's the case the price difference with 3US, 4US and 4UL is not much (4 euro) or equal (2UL = 3US). I'm really new to racks, but need one because we travel a lot with my band. You know how it is, every spare place in the van is important. At the moment I don't plan to put some other rack mountable units, but do I need to think for the future???

I could easily find a place for 3-4 cables in some bag, but if GR-2US is not enough big and reliable (because of the smaller size) for this amp, is it better to buy a big one like 3U, 4U or at least a GR-2UL that is deeper and there is chance to put some extra cables at the back or not to unplug the speakon to put the lids?

Sorry for the long post, but just felt right to dеscribe the situation.
  2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with that specific rack case, but the LH500 and LH1000 are 14.5" deep, so they require a full-depth case.
  3. lifer_

lifer_

Yep, Hartke is 14.5" and like the Gator specs say GR-2US interior length is 12.25 " but it's exterior length is 17.5". So, are these extra 5" (obviously the lids) will be enough to cover the amp and is this a good idea not to be fully inside the rack?

The reason I'm asking about the shallow version is because I saw You Tube video where the guy wrote a comment:
    "I don't know which gator case it is. The back of the LH amp is flush with the end of the case. (with the cover off)"

So, there is a good chance to be the shallow one.
  4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

The front of the Hartke sits flush with the front of the rack, so the extra depth provided by the front lid is irrelevant. That means that you would have a 14.5" amp in a 12.25" rack. Will the lid provide enough depth for clearance to be able to get it closed? Maybe, I don't know, but I do know that you would have to unplug the power cords and speaker cable to even have a chance. I would get the full depth rack.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lifer_

lifer_

Yes, it look so...May be I really need the deeper version GR-2UL. The difference between this one and GR-4UL is just 4 euros :) and now I am tempted for the bigger one. The price is the only reason and I know that I don't really need 4U. I have couple of days to make a decision :).

Thank you for your input, Febs!
  7. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Hey lifer. That's my video above. That is the 12.5" gator case.
  8. lifer_

lifer_

Great!
    What do you think about that rack, what's your expirience with it?
    Is it worth to buy this one or deeper is better?
    Is there enough space for something else, like cables or not?

Thank you, jjk2007!
  9. jjk2007

Hey lifer. The rack is ok. I still have it but I put my amp in a road ready case now. (Think anvil etc) I'm not a big fan of the way the lids latch on. Kind of loose fitting. I liked this one for the size, although you really couldn't fit much else in there. I also kind of miss the smaller form factor too because I could set the cab on my dolly with the head on top with cable bag and do the load in in one trip. Now it takes a couple. Overall it's not bad, but If you have a chance to check one out and might buy, definitely see how the covers latch on. Not sure if these cases are a hit/miss kind of thing with that.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Deeper is better. SKB is better.
  11. lifer_

lifer_

Unfortunately don't have the opportunity to try the case. I'm planning to make an order from Thomann.de .
    On this link http://www.thomann.de/de/gator_gr2s.htm you can see that the latches are on the lids, but that's just for the shallow model. I know about the rattling problem but is it so serious?

I don't know is it worth to spend 20 euros more for a GR-2UL just for the spare space for cables and it could rattle.
    May be the shallow Gator will be fine for me, I don't intend to use the effect loop at the moment or if it so, it's just three cables with the speakon to be removed. Not much of a problem.
    Just can't make a decision :).

Don't have enough money to spend on rack and that's why I did my choice with Gator. Read a lot about the racks in this forum and it said that SKB is supreme but the price is triple (or at least double) :) and their shallow (cheaper) models are too short.
  12. jjk2007

I think if you're handling your own gear you'd be alright. I hit mine a couple of times just right to make one side of the lid pop off. Rarely happened though. I have all my cables etc in a computer style backpack so storage in the case was unnecessary for me.
  13. lifer_

lifer_

I think I already made my choice with GR-2US :).
    Thank you guys!