help! is my stack gonna set on fire?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ryanmonshall100, Nov 9, 2012.

1. ryanmonshall100

ryanmonshall100

Hi guys! so i want to upgrade my amp system and i have played on some harley bentons and i really like the sound...so after doing some research i have found what i think would be a good stack, but ive never set a stack up before as ive always used combos, would this stack be ok?

For the head i was going to have a Behringer BXR1800H, it is 180watts/4ohm.

the first cab would be Harley Benton BB115T, and this is 8 ohms, with 200 watts.

the lower cab would be Harley Benton BB410T, and this is 500 watts RMS, 8 ohms.

Would this be safe to slap this all together? Im going to run these parallel(whatever that means :L) if not tell me, cause i dont wanna me being a novice with amps to literally burn me out :p

cheers and help me

2. Cirk

Cirk

You should be fine running both cabs on your amp, but be sure that the fan's airflow is not obstructed to keep it cool.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it'll all work fine, but let me be the first of many to suggest not mixing different cabs together.

it'll work, but usually matched cabs work better.

if you already have all this stuff, then go for it; if not, i'd compare the cab options, decide which one sounds best to you by itself, and get two of those.

4. ryanmonshall100

ryanmonshall100

heyy walter cn i ask whats wrong with mixing cabs? like i said im new to it all :p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

It seem to be all low end gear.
    Not sure how long it will last or how good it will sound.
    I would save up and keep looking for some good name brand used gear.

7. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

I would probably suggest just going with one cab and getting a better head. I would pick a 15" but that's just my preference.
    Maybe an Ashdown MAG 300. They're fantastic for the price. Will give you more volume and better tone.
    Also, if you buy used, you'll get a lot more for your money.

8. walterw

rather than dismissively telling you to read the "ohms" sticky, which is frankly one huge intimidating "TL;DR", do a search for "mixing cabs" or "matching cabs".

you'll find your question getting asked and answered about twice a day on TB.

the upshot is that matching cabs will usually give you better "coupling", where they reinforce each other's low end.

the other upshot is that 4x10s are usually way louder and have more low end than single 15s, not less.

9. hdracer

If you are in the UK I would look for some used Ashdown gear.
    Great gear and I hear the prices are a lot less there.

10. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Just to clarify, the mixing cabs thing has to do with how they sound, and also possibly blowing out the 115 if you play really loud, but two 8 ohm boxes in parallel will give you a 4 ohm load for your amp, so your amp will be fine.

What you are being warned about is that the whole "10s are fast and trebly and 15s are deep" is a misleading idea; the speaker-cabinet combination can be tuned so that 10's are deep and 15's are mid-rangey and barky. The speaker diameter does not tell you how the entire speaker-cabinet system is going to sound. So then take that a step further and the "10s for my highs and a 15 for my lows" idea is also an out-moded fallicy. Not that it can't work that way, with some gear, just that it won't always work that way. It varies by brand and by model within a brand.

11. ThisBass

ThisBass

yes, yes, yes, the different group delays of different (vented) cabs maybe cause erasements

most of the times they are a bit different (the group delays), but most of the time, ...not so bad.

back line and side fill and front line monitoring, the summation of all together is much more a problem any way.

12. delta7fred

delta7fred

Yes, Ashdown is quite popular here and well thought of by a lot of users, not sure of the prices as I have not looked at it for a long time.

Mentioning Harley Benton I assume you are somewhere in Europe as they are the brand name for a big German MI distributor.

13. ryanmonshall100

ryanmonshall100

so what ive gathered is that i should get better gear, which i will in future but for now my band are only playing pubs, parties and other venues, i should match the cabs and should buy a better head? is that correct?

14. hdracer

That's what I though. I have never seen or heard of them here.
    Behringer is known world wide as crap.

15. walterw

yep;

in fact, a better head and a better cab may mean you only need one cab.

16. Cirk

Cirk

Before investing your hard-earned money in anything, be sure do do lots of research on it. Use the search function here, and check mutiple review sites as well. It may save you a lot of money and hassle. Keep it simple. Building your own cab can save you a bunch of money too, but be sure to build the cab for the speaker. Just dropping any speaker in a cab isn't going to provide optimal performance. It's cheaper to do it right once than wrong twice.

17. ThisBass

ThisBass

Harley Benton is imported stuff by Hans Thomann/Germany.

I know Hans Thomann since the very first beginning of his career. The shop is some km/miles away from my home town.

He is always endeavoured to provide the best quality for less money, but his Low Budget gear is HIS Harley Benton brand.

But less money is only less money.
    You can't' expect high quality for low.

Yes
    No problem

Will it sound good?

No idea, cause it's low budget gear.

But it's never a problem running 410+15

18. ryanmonshall100

ryanmonshall100

as its my first stack, and wont be pushed to hard just yet would it be ok? im going to get better gear in the future, i just need this for about a year or so till i upgrade...i know its cheap, but will it be ok?

19. hdracer

Why waist your money now on cheap gear just to buy good stuff later?
    Buy good now and keep it.
    Do a search on Behringer. you will not find very much love.
    How will you feel when that head dies on you in the middle of a gig?

20. backup

backup

yes dont buy behringer and harley benton this is a waste of money imo because you will eventually end up buying something better.
    if youre only doing bars and home parties you dont need a full stack either. one cab is sufficient. tell TB your budget and you will get very usefull recommendations
    but if youre really want the low end stuff then just be sure to have matching cabinets

21. ThisBass

ThisBass

everything is crap.
    Except a 70's SVT in very good condition like new.
    ...some can afford, some others don't.