Help! Keep Breaking C strings On My Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bluebucket, Jan 26, 2014.

1. bluebucket

bluebucket

I have a Squier Deluxe Jazz V that I got a while ago, my first fiver, that I string E to C. My problem is that I keep breaking the C's. Doesn't seem to matter what gauge string I use. I've used everything from .50's down to .32's. I haven't changed the nut yet to accommodate the different tuning and am wondering if that may have something to do with it? The strings used to just break at the bridge, and upon closer inspection, I found what looked like a burr on the saddle so I flipped it over and hadn't had any trouble for some time. I'm playing the bass more now, to the point that it's becoming a go to for one of my projects. I just broke two strings in the space of about 10 minutes and am getting seriously frustrated. These two breaks occurred in the middle of the string, near around the 7th-9th fret. Looking at the strings, the core broke on both of them. These were .32 Ernie Ball Cobalts. I'm gonna go broke buying single strings at this pace. Anybody have some ideas to what the problem might be?
  2. Jensby design

Jensby design

:eyebrow: It does matter what gauge you use .050 @ C3 = 91-98 lbs of tension with a .032 your probably looking at something in the 39-45 range. May not seem like that much to a bass but put those numbers on guitar :meh: looks a high now doesn't it?
    The C-string is more like a guitar that's long enough for a bass.
    I've used .029 for a C-string that's about 35 lbs of tension, down to .025 which is more like 25 lbs.
    I have to say it seems like some brands don't do much testing on their products. It might work ok on one bass but as soon as you try it on one that has a sharper angle an the bridge :scowl:
  3. schecter5string

schecter5string

I bet you fixed the problem with the burr on the bridge saddle.
    The last two breaks may just be really bad luck with two defective strings.
    I say this because of where they broke.
  4. bluebucket

bluebucket

Ok. Thanks both of you for the response. To elaborate a little, the .32 gauge Cobalts lasted the longest. And one broke after about three months of fairly steady play. I was bending up fairly aggressively when it broke. Then went to restring w/another identical string and as I was tuning, it snapped. Very frustrating.
  5. Register to disable this ad