1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

HELP lefty bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbrony, Dec 17, 2012.

1. bassbrony

bassbrony

hello, since the holidays are coming up, i am planning to upgrade to a new bass. i have been playing bass for 2 years now and looking forward to upgrade from my cheap beginner bass. unfortunately i am lefty, therefore my choices are reduced by ALOT and need your guys help. i have a friend that recommends me the Ibanez SR300 as my next bass. as lurking for other basses, i found the schecter C-5 very interesting. since the C-5 is made out of basswood, i was told that basswood isnt very good. what would you guys say would be my best choice? my limit for a bass is $450. btw i play music from metalcore, rock all the way to some jazz and like to slap. i prefer the tone to be bright but still have that deep low end. :bassist::help:
  2. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

I am a lefty bassist who owns quite a few basses including high end ones. I recently bought a Squire VM 70's Jazz Bass. I actually like it better than my MIA Jazz Bass. I paid $300 for it new. It is in your budget. I am sure you would not be desappointed. Check it out.
  3. Blind Rat

Blind Rat

I have a Lefty Ibanez SR500,you could have a good look at one of these
  4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

5. amimbari

amimbari

I also had a SR300 for almost a year...nothing in the world would make me say anything bad about it. I sold it to a friend who needed a unit to start out on.
  6. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

+1. Fellow lefty here. For the money those VM 's are hard to beat. Check out schecter too, most their models are available lefty. Don't own on but the ones I've picked up have been spot on. Save a few more $ you could score a used German Warwick corvette.
  7. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    Look around (guitar center) for a used MTD - can't go wrong with them - Then again, I have a used Sector Legend (Import) could let go reasonably - Just picked up a new MTD Heir....
  8. msb

msb

I read it as help hefty bassist .
  9. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Are you ok with buying used or do you want a new bass?
  10. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

So did I. I thought it would be a question about playing bass with a big fat gut.
  11. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Make a "fashion statement". Go with the Hendrix look. Get a good used right handed P Bass in your price range and switch the nut out to left handed.

Since your playing metal and stuff, the stage image of a left handed bassist playing a right handed bass is PERFECT!

Nothing is sexier or more radical than seeing a left handed or right handed bassist or guitarist playing the opposite handed instrument!

Do it!
  12. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

^^ NO.

That can hinder your access to upper frets. Hendrix could pull it off because he had huge hands. My first bass was a righty PBass that was flipped lefty. Getting a proper lefty bass was the best thing that happened to me back then.
    Just scour eBay, there are tons of basses out there. Good luck.
  13. LHbassist

LHbassist

Ditto. I'm a left-handed bass luthier and repairman. I bought one at Guitar Center, for 99 bucks! It had a bad neck, I had a replacement, and voila' a cheap killer bass for not much dough. P.S., I took out the 'Duncan Designed' pickups and put in a set of expensive famous name 'winder' pickups.. you won't believe this- but it's true- the Indonesian stock pickups sound better. They're going back in the bass. I have a 1960 replica stack knob Ocean Turquoise alder, MIJ jazz- parts bass, allparts neck...killer. I also have a MIJ 1997 sunburst jazz. The Squier's fit and finish is equal to both of those great basses.
    Just find one with a STRONG neck that can be adjusted!

Frenchy-Lefty is, as I also am....on www.leftybassist.com My handle is LHBASSIST.
    There is a lot to see on that site, too.

A lot of the posters here are also on leftybassist.com HI EVERYONE, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

P.S... if you search youtube, and find Ed Friedland's reviews of these Squier VM basses- you'll be amazed. I think, on the demo's they sound as good or better than his American, and Japanese basses!
  14. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    How are the bodies on the Squire VM 70's Jazz guys? Are they heavy, and do they dent easily?
  15. amimbari

amimbari

no you are so wrong on so many levels. Why don't you just buy a cheap lefty and flip it over and play it righty then? :rollno:

the only thing sexy about a lefty in a band is when there are TWO of them and we kick the righty off to the corner....!!!

[​IMG]
  16. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Any good with your hands? Try this maybe. No charge for lefty. Brand new. And the finish is up to you. I did one a few years back. It turned out great. My brother still plays it all the time. The only reason I don't is I switched to 5 strings. Just go straight black on the body and a little tung oil on the neck and you're all set.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/kits/bk40
  17. Wallace320

Wallace320

You can find the '70s natural
    View attachment 306515
    or the '60s in sunburst
    View attachment 306516

The first one is all maple, if the neck's is alright, I really think pickups are not that good, but surely hot enough for some serious slappin'

The second is basswood with rosewood fingerboard. Don't get sidetracked vs basswood
    It's a budget wood, but light and, even if "nosy", resonant

Unlike agathis (you mentioned SR300) which appear to be brilliant, but a bit heavier and unconsistent thru a band mix

So both above Squier can appeal you

Cheers,
    Wallace
  18. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Three words.

Fender Reverse Jaguar.
  19. IzzyHag

IzzyHag

I got a nice lefty Fender MIM Jazz bass in the midnight crimson color or whatever it is that I'm sure I could sell ya.
  20. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

As bassists, we ain't supposed to be playing high register on bass!

OK, I'm sorry. I'm being dogmatic and fundimental.

I'm a righty and I've always wanted to play a left handed P Bass for that "fashion statment".

In a metal band, I think a "south paw" playing a right handed P Bass would look cool. Kind of like an upside down American flag.