1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help Locating SVT CL Serial #

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by leemelone, Feb 1, 2014.

1. leemelone

leemelone

I'm trying to locate the serial # of my SVT CL and try to figure out the year it was made. It's a LOUD Technologies version made in Korea. The only thing I can find is a bar code over the ohm selector switch. Pic attached. :help:

Attached Files:

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

I do not know how theirs works, but it should be coded into the serial. Seems like I saw an explanation of the Loud system...

Anyhow, they HAVE TO have a date code somewhere, it's a requirement. Mostly they are in the serial number.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The serial number is normally on a tag on the back of the amp. On the SVT VR in the case, the serial number is clearly marked on the tag.

Without a serial number, you can estimate the date of manufacture from the codes on the pots inside the chassis.

[​IMG]
  4. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    For what it's worth, this is what the s/n label looked like on a SVT-CL I used to have. I have no idea how to read these new serial
    numbers but when I had issues with this amp it was pegged by Hodgy at Ampeg as being built in Nov. 2012, based on the s/n.

[​IMG]
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Here is an updated decode. Like the one that Mark posted above.

[​IMG]

Here is the style that was used before that one.

[​IMG]
  6. Vintage-Blue

Disclosures:
    Thanks David. I wish they had mentioned how the month is encoded too. Hodgy could tell mine was built in November. My s/n showed an 'E' for the year which matched up to 2012. The next letter looks like 'V'. I wonder if they somehow use a letter from the spelling of the month?
  7. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    Actually Mark, our most recent date codes do a letter for every 2 week period, so A= Jan 1-15, B= Jan 16-31, etc.
    To the original poster, maybe the SN label is UNDER the label that's in the pic? Because that label sure isn't one of ours.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Hodgy, could you post an example of the newest serial number and how the letters and numbers break down? I think that a lot of people would find it valuable.
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

According to what Hodgy said, V would be the first two weeks in November.
  10. leemelone

leemelone

Thanks guys but I still unable to locate anything that has any letters in it. See the attached pic in the first post. :meh:
  11. Vintage-Blue

Disclosures:
    Thanks Hodgy, that's good to know!
  12. DRafalske

DRafalske

So how does one date an SVT with that kind of serial number? I have one just like that, seems I can find info for everything but that style.

Thanks for any help?

Dave
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    2007. The T in the 5th digit is the year, and the 6th digit is month of manufacture, so yours was made July 2007. www.unofficialampeg.com/dating.html for how to interpret the serial numbers of different years.
  14. DRafalske

DRafalske

Thanks Jimmy. That's not actually my amp, I just used that pic as an example, but the 5th digit of my serial is a U, so I that makes it a 2008. 6th digit is 2, so, February.
    Thanks for the info!
  15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

It's your amps birthday!
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep. Sometime in 2008 they went to the new system at LOUD, and yours was before it was implemented.
  17. DRafalske

DRafalske

Haha! Indeed. I never thought of it like that. It got a whole new set of JJ's for it's birthday too, lucky devil.

Thanks again, guys!

D