Help looking for something out of the norm?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LongHairFreak, Jul 26, 2013.

1. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold Gold Supporting Member

Hey TB

Instead of a Pbass, I think I may be looking in another direction for my Darkstar and because of financial situations, commissioning a custom is looking a bit bleak. As some of you know, I am blind, so for me, perusing pics is out and written descriptions on the net are…wanting. That’s my reasoning for asking for TB’s assistance.

The basics of what I am looking for is a 34” scale 4-string on a semi-hollow w/a single middle PU. I am certainly open to other possibilities; a 35” scale might be cool and I’d likely settle for a 32”, but the semi-hollow design w/a single PU in the middle are both essential for this inquiry.

Bonus features might be things like a 2+2 headstock, an oversized body, a dual cut-out design and a ‘0’ fret.

Yes, I’ve already searched TB many times over my years here and I’ve been around long enough (playing for 40+ years), so of course I know 34” scale do exist on semi-hollows (Reverand, Ibanez, DiPinto and others I’m sure), but from what I've been able to tell, either they have dual Pus or I just can’t figure out what their setup is.

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
  2. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

Interesting set of features you're looking for.

Over at Rondo Music there's a Douglas bass with the Gibson ES-335 guitar shape, so it's semi-hollow with F-holes.
    It's the only current bass with a mid-position single humbucker that I know of, and it looks like it'll fit any MusicMan style aftermarket pickup.
    Pickup is around the P-bass position.
    Only 32 inch scale, and no zero fret.
    Big wide yet thin body, and a 2+2 headstock.

No experience with this bass, but it sounds like a possibility for you and at $300 it won't break the bank.
    Lots of players on TalkBass love Rondo and their SX basses, and many seem to feel that the Douglas brand models are a step up in quality.

Good luck in your search.
  3. BassNoobSuomi

BassNoobSuomi

Epiphone Jack Casady bass might be what you're lookin' for.
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Is there a budget?
  5. LongHairFreak

Can't say exactly what I'd be willing to spend, but my current custom ran a mite bit over $2k and I know, unless drastic changes in my income occur, I can't go near that number this time around. On the other hand, I'm not interested in going dirt cheap either; the DS deserves something more than an SX, Squier and the like.

Although, I do plan on somehow checking out Keith Alan K's suggestion, so...I guess I don't really know. So... Perhaps somewhere btwn $600 and $1k or so??

6. LongHairFreak

Yeah, I forgot, I am going to take a gander at that one. Off the top, One of my concerns are spending that sort of cash and immediately ripping out the PU to replace it. Of course, as I've eluded to, going too cheap on finances is likely going too cheap on sound/performance too.

Thanks for reminding me of the JC though.

7. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Sounds like your in the market of a Jack Casady bass to me. Wonderful basses, I had mine since 1998. These basses have a 34 inch scale, the body is hollow and has 2 F-holes. They came from Jack's redesign of the mid 1970's Gibson Les Paul signature bass. Thank God, he had Epiphone put it out.

They are very responsive to right hand placement and to difference in choice of strings. Jack uses Dean Markley Blue Steel medium lights, as I do. If you put Pyramid flats on it , it sounds much like McCartney's Hofner. Casady redesigned the Alinco pickup to get an even better sound out of it than the Gibson version.

These are versatile instruments allowing you to play in many genres. Highly recommended. They are also moderately priced.
  8. LongHairFreak

Yeah. They seem to be very well liked. I have yet to find one locally that I can feel up to know for sure though. Of course, though I don't like doing it, I suppose one could be ordered online and returned if I don't dig it's feel.

9. capnjagg

capnjagg

Haven't seen them mentioned, so I'll bring them up just to give you options. I don't think they're in production anymore, so you would have to shop used, but the Ibanez Artcore AGB140 (single cut-away) and ASB140 (double-cutaway) are both 34" scale semi-hollows with 2+2 tuners and single humbuckers in the middle position. Neither has a zero fret or over-sized body though. :/
  10. LongHairFreak

Yeah. That seems to be quite a popular one for tossing in a Darkstar. I didn't know the headstock design, so thanks for that confirmation.

However, I've not held an Ibanez that didn't have very narrow string spacing. Since my PU is the DS3 (19mm), I'm thinking it wouldn't work in the middle position of an Ibanez.