Help me break some rules?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by basscooker, Nov 29, 2012.

1. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Hi all. I'm getting near the end of my mancave remodel. i've got some marshall stuff i'm putting in it, and would like some advice on how to get the best results. i'm keeping all of the gear in the room with the marshall asthetic (jcm800 era) and would like to retrofit a guitar cab with bass drivers. i could totally just buy a marshall bass cab, too, but they cost quite a bit more and the jcm looking bass cabs don't show up affordably very often (this option is on the table until the day i go to load up the room, so this may prove to be a moot thread). so i've decided that since i really already have all of the gear that meets my needs from a band perspective, i'm ok with perfect tone and oodles of power taking a back seat to looks.

the cabs i'm considering to take the hit:
    1936- this is a 2x12 that from pics i've seen looks awfully roomy, so the bigger int volume will probably make it friendly to bass drivers.

jtmc212- for the same reason

1965- these are 'a' and 'b' cabs with 4x10's. they are fairly small boxes, but a pair of them with two drivers in each instead of 4 may provide a good space.

1966- 'a' and 'b' cabs here, too, but diagonally baffled 2x12 cabs about the size of a 4x12.

the way i see it, these guitar cabs all have potential to get along well enough with bass drivers. besides calculating volume and trial 'n' error modeling with win isd to figure out a decent driver, what else do i need to consider with a project like this?

2. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Supporting Member

Why not buy a dedicated bass cab and refinish it to look like a Marshall? I know you can get Marshall-looking tolex and grille cloth on the web. I'd bet you can get Marshall logos on the web or on ebay too.

3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Good option there that'd probably end up as a better bass cab.

OR.........

If you want to keep it as real Marshall cabs...the 12" eminence beta would probably work fair enough in the large 212's stuffing it and keeping it a sealed box.

Or...

The typical 1960 cabs are around a cubic foot per driver. Could turn one of those into a ported 410 and hid it all behind the grillcloth, although, may not sound that great being such a shallow cab with the drivers spread out so far.

I'd probably lean towards the sealed Beta's, or refinishing a real bass cab in Marshall clothing.

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Or.....Or.....

Why not forget all that and just keep your Ampro rig in there? Pretty hard to beat that kind of cool factor.:cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Or, get a couple of Avatar 2x12 bass cabs, with black tolex, white piping, and black grille cloth, and add an 11" Marshall cab logo on each.

7. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    well, yeah (Ampro) lives in the living room. refinishing a proper bass cab to look like a marshall is a good thought. the thing is about that is it would already have to look somewhat like a marshall to begin with. for example, the thickness of the wood surrounding the baffle is almost 1.5" thick, giving it the "tv" look that contributes alot to the jcm appearence. and this really is just a brainstorm. i'm laying carpet and doing final paint for the next bit, so there's still time to figure it all out. maybe a nice jcm 1x15 cab will turn up.

here, will: just for you ;)

[​IMG]

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I'll point you this way as far as modding guitar cabs....

If your boxes approach 1-1/2 cubic feet per driver, or at least 1-1/4, could stick with 12's. Read this thread for some ideas. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/12-speakers-sealed-cabs-showdown-emi-vs-fane-926917/

If they're 1 cubic foot per driver or less, move to 10's and take your pick from those mentioned in this thread. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/t-s-parameters-vintage-cts-8x10-drivers-915820/

I keep coming back to sealed cabs because most guitar cabs just aren't that spacious inside. Most ported 12's would want more box. With 10's, you could look at ported designs if you've got 1 cu.ft. available per 10" driver, or at least close to it.

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If you'll be using in-wall speakers or towers that aren't huge, you could make a recess in the wall, building a grill that looks like a Marshall stack of your choice. I have also seen bulletin boards that look like the front of a Fender Tweed amp with tweed sides and Oxblood grill cloth.

10. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    the room is going to be a jam spot, too. there's a cheap 5 pc ludwig kit, and three marshall microstacks i already have that will be living there. i was thinking one of their 2x12's turned on its side, with a 3510 (2 or 3U) bass head on it would look good with the micros. i don't know, that avatar idea seems like a good solution, too.

11. Cirk

Cirk

Should you decide to make another cab look like a Marshall, look up antique electronic supply. The website is tubesandmore.com. They have all the hardware, tolex (in multiple colors if you choose), grill cloth, and logos you might need.

12. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i'll check them out, thanks.

this was the initial plan... but the kiddies need santa to visit, so i thinned the heard...

[​IMG]

13. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I wouldn't dream of using a guitar cab for bass--even with drivers from a bass cab in it. Guitar players have speakers. The box they live in is almost incidental. Just something to point them in the right direction. Bass players have cabinets. With them, the speakers are almost incidental to the box. Having a properly engineered cab is everything.

I'd get a good bass cab and retrofit it with Marshall stuff on the outside.

14. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps you have different tone goals.:D

15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    If you still had all 7 of those mini stacks, I would've probably just slaved together 4 of them and plugged in my bass.:D

16. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I used a JTMC410 and loaded it with 1969 CTS speakers from an Ampeg 810. I had to upgrade the resonant plastic handles and added a little bit of bracing but it kicks! I has almost the exact same internal volume as the top (or bottom!) half of a vintage 810. If you were to source two of these cabs, they can be had cheap (~$200 ea). I got a quad of the CTS for $50 that normally would run another $200. Don't forget you can sell the stock Marshall/Celestion 10's on CL or eBay. For $800 or less, you can have a Marshall badged Ampeg 810. ;)

Pictured on the bottom:
    [​IMG]

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i like it!