1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

help me choose a new set of strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by atracksler, Apr 15, 2014.

1. atracksler

atracksler Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    My Ray35 has had a 142 set of Circle K Strings on it since December. Its about time for a new set, I think.

I like the Circle K strings well enough. I Love the balanced tension, and the piano like tone they have.

I also like the tapers on the ends, I like the way they sit on the bridge....

Honestly, I have no reason to get something else, other than it would be fun to try something else.

Ive tried the Ernie Ball Slinky 130s and liked them a lot on this bass, but they aren't tapered.

Ive never tried a set of D'Adarrios that I liked on bass.

I love Pyramid Flats, but they don't make a 5 string version.

I think I'll stick with round wounds for this bass. Flatwounds kinds defeat the punchiness on it (or at least the Sadowskys I tried did).

Other than those, I haven't bought any bass strings since the 90's (I took a long hiatus, involving a banjo and a mandolin... but thats another story...)

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, ad

2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    If you can find the old type of fender 8250 (i think?) For 5 string. Maybe not insane piano tone, but they have the clearest midrange ive ever heard

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    I couldn't tell you about a B string, but I've been very happy with dean markley sr2000's.

They're steels, but not overly zingy or rough on the fingers and all but the g string is tapered.

5. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Try the D'Addario Flexsteels out. Also CK will be releasing SS strings soon I think, so might wait for those.

6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Not many string companies do tapers properly, Circle K being the only one I know of with a taper length that's acceptable.