help me choose a new set of strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by atracksler, Apr 15, 2014.

1. atracksler

atracksler Supporting Member

My Ray35 has had a 142 set of Circle K Strings on it since December. Its about time for a new set, I think.

I like the Circle K strings well enough. I Love the balanced tension, and the piano like tone they have.

I also like the tapers on the ends, I like the way they sit on the bridge....

Honestly, I have no reason to get something else, other than it would be fun to try something else.

Ive tried the Ernie Ball Slinky 130s and liked them a lot on this bass, but they aren't tapered.

Ive never tried a set of D'Adarrios that I liked on bass.

I love Pyramid Flats, but they don't make a 5 string version.

I think I'll stick with round wounds for this bass. Flatwounds kinds defeat the punchiness on it (or at least the Sadowskys I tried did).

Other than those, I haven't bought any bass strings since the 90's (I took a long hiatus, involving a banjo and a mandolin... but thats another story...)

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, ad
  2. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

If you can find the old type of fender 8250 (i think?) For 5 string. Maybe not insane piano tone, but they have the clearest midrange ive ever heard
  3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I couldn't tell you about a B string, but I've been very happy with dean markley sr2000's.

They're steels, but not overly zingy or rough on the fingers and all but the g string is tapered.
  4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Try the D'Addario Flexsteels out. Also CK will be releasing SS strings soon I think, so might wait for those.
  5. wiro

wiro

6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Not many string companies do tapers properly, Circle K being the only one I know of with a taper length that's acceptable.