Help me choose an amp!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SteveGBJ, Dec 28, 2013.

1. SteveGBJ

SteveGBJ

Hi,
    I'm looking to change my amp but I have no idea what I'm doing! At the moment I've got a peavey tnt 115 combo and while I love the sound and the volume level is ideal for the venues I'm playing, it's the heaviest thing in the entire world and they designed it without any useful handles! It's a shame as it'd be perfect if it was easier to handle.

Essentially what I'm looking for is the same amp but lighter! I've not got a clue about amps really though so I was wondering if anyone could suggest a similar sounding amp that's a bit lighter?

Cheers!
  2. FSOBass

FSOBass

If you like your amp otherwise, why not just add some handles to it?
  3. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

You could build a separate head cab for the amp, and a TL606 cab to go with it.

You could also model that driver you have and build a new lighter cab around it...

And/or just reverse engineer you Peavey cab, and build a lightweight duplicate...

There are quite a few lightweight amps available. The one I'm gassing for is the Mesa Walkabout... But I have and like the TCE RH450, and bring a Carvin BX500 as backup, and have several lightweight cabs I've built (1x12, 2x12, 1x15 and 2x15) plus a vintage Traynor 6x10... Lots of options.
  4. ack

ack Supporting Member

Just as FSOBass mentioned about adding handles, there are several other options if you really love your TNT. Not sure if your TNT115 has casters or not, but one option to look into would be a dolly for the amp, which also has a tilt-back function:
    http://www.handicart.com/carts.html#

Up until very recently, I had the TNT130 combo as well as the Peavey ProBass 500 / TVX210 / BX115-BW rig. Both were extremely awkward to haul around, but reliable, useful and ballsy amps.

I decided to sell them both and go lightweight, but I wanted whatever I ended up with to have some balls. I tested quite few micros, a few neos, and there are some great options out there. Mesa Walkabout and the Genz-Benz Shuttle are great. Lightweight, compact, and both companies have great cabinets to choose from, or you can choose your favorite cab or cab combinations. I also like the GK MB series combos...

Truthfully, other than the mini's, there wasn't anything that I hated.

After narrowing it down to TC Electronics RH450 and Markbass, I ended up with the Markbass CMD102P (210) combo and the 210 ext. cab. Real light, well built and plenty of volume.

Good luck with your decision.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I think the TNT combo's will take an ext spkr, and if so, another Peavey 1x15 cab would increase volume by huge leaps. As to the weight, get a cart.