1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Help me choose EMG-J or EMG-JX

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by javier69, Jan 16, 2014.

1. javier69

javier69

Mar 6, 2008
    Hi: I have a set of Quarter Pounder (5 strings) on a jazz bass with a pedal EDEN WTDI it sound great no problem with but I gonna change my set to a full active mode and I have this 2 option
    1) EMG-J
    2) EMG-JX

Wish one is better? I think the 2 set sounds almost the same (IMO) but I like a very clear sound but with a good punch...
    I play Hard Rock, contemporary music, some jazz and some metal...

2. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    JX sounds like an upgrade to the J. I'd go for the JX.

3. This is of course IMO, but the JX are far superior to the J - much more open, less compressed, more dynamic. I tried both in my bass and the JX were the clear winners. I'm using 45JX in my Yamaha Nathan East 5 string and couldn't be happier.

Again - this is HIGHLY subjective. I was in a position to try both. One thing I will say is don't depend too heavily on YouTube comparisons - the sound quality (or lack thereof) of most videos masks a lot. I didn't hear a huge difference in such videos, but in real life? very noticeable.

YMMV

Good luck!

J

4. Sponsored by:

5. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

I used the regular J and JX, I like the JX much better since it sounded like there was more air around each note. But my favorite is JVX :D

6. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Kentucky
    I couldn't get the sound samples to play :( Do you have them on any other source? Dropbox perhaps?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I like the regular pickups better than the X's. The X's sound great but they have more treble and slightly more low end, and I ended up liking less treble and slightly less low end.

8. javier69

javier69

Mar 6, 2008
    I think I'm gonna try the JX pair... I let you know how it goes! thanks!

9. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man

Aug 26, 2012
    Agreed. :ninja:

10. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    I think the X series improvements are much more noticeable when using the DCX / CSX / TWX series pickups. That said, still enjoying the JX/PX set on my Fender but I need to get some fretwork and to fiddle with some pickup height to get the J more balanced for a 7.25" radius.

11. javier69

javier69

Mar 6, 2008
    Ok Im already got them installed on my Jazz Bass it sound great, but I notice something strange, it's supposed that EMG is totally quiet? the pick ups sound great, but I got a humming noise (more like a ground sound) when i touch the 1/4 jack it turn completly quiet... I check every step on conectors again and it is everything ok...

12. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisconsin
    EMG's don't requir a grounded bridge, so if your bridge is still grounded, that may be the problem.

13. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

Try a different outlet or room in your house and see if it makes a difference

14. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Disclosures:
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/AreonStoner?fref=ts
    It's funny because when I listen to comparrisions of the J vs JX I get the feeling that the JX has less lows then the J?
    Just compare the vids on the EMG site, maybe I'm deaf but I hear more highs, more air but not more lows :p

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I've had both in my P Lyte, and there were definitely more lows with the JX. Maybe the increased treble makes you think there's less low end?

16. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Disclosures:
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/AreonStoner?fref=ts
    Maybe, I never had the chance to compare them live. I've just listened to the EMG demos and to this guy.

It depends on the playing style but to me it seams that the regular Js are fuller with more lows. Anyway I'm still between the JX and JVX :d

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015