1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help me choose my next bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yvon, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

I know what I want for my next bass. But I don't know which company make it.

What I want:
    5 strings jazz bass
    Modern design (no pick gard)
    Passive
    Maple fingerboard

On the cheap side. Under 1500$

The only company I can think about is warmoth!

What if I don't want to build it myself?
  2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

34" scale. Important!
  3. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Well, ther eis the G&L L2500 or Reverend Mercalli 5 which are a Jazz bass and then some... the Carvin SB5000 comes to mind (def a VERY modern look)... You could try to run down a used Fender Victor Bailey 5 or a Lakland skyline... at that price range, that's about all I have
  4. garp

garp

That’s definitely an ideal candidate for a Warmoth project. I was recently looking for something almost identical to your specs, and priced out a custom build using Warmoth ingredients and a local luthier/tech to put it all together for me. Had I gone ahead with it, the total tab would’ve come in at just around USD $1,600. I ultimately decided that’s a little too much to risk for an “experiment” that would likely have little resale value if for some reason I didn’t bond with it.
  5. G

G

Carvin SB5000.
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Nothing wrong with a good old Fashioned Fender MIM Jazz 5-er. I love mine.
  7. garp

garp

The MIM Jazz V is great. But the OP had specified a maple fretboard (not currently available on that model). And when the pickguard is removed, it reveals an unsightly rout and a CNC hole.
  8. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

10. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist Supporting Member

Soector Coda Pro.
  11. B0_mon

B0_mon

+1. My first bass was/is a G&L Tribute L-2500. Here is the only pic I have (it's on the right):

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391548277.880074.jpg

I bought it on eBay for $500 shipped (fr. FL to CA). I just recently put some D'Ad. half-rounds on it. They sound and play great.

Very reliable and very versatile. Lots of great tones from dark and soft to bright and grindy-growly.

Cheers!