1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help Me Choose Please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ibg2dffr, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ibg2dffr

ibg2dffr

Hello! This is my first post. Getting right at the point, I'm due for an upgrade from an Ibanez GSR-200 bass and while I don't have the money to pick up one from the 500+ range, I'm thinking of buying a 5-string bass as an upgrade. I was pretty much convinced that I would be buying a Peavey Grind-5 in natural brown finish, but then I saw the Sterling SUBs out. I've been reading the thread regarding the SUBs and am pretty much aware of the issues the SUB may have. Oh well.. So I guess this are the two that I'm choosing on.:confused:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PEV-GRNTB5-NATWC

and

http://www.music123.com/bass/sterling-by-music-man-s.u.b.-ray5-bass-guitar

I hope you could help me narrow down what is preferable. In terms of the music I play, I try to be as diverse as I can be but I play more on the jazzy/contemporary praise and worship side as I play for my church.

Thanks in advance!

2. awilkie84

awilkie84

I've played a grind 5. Very light weight and sounds great. It's a neckthru and looks pretty good.

The SMBB SUBs are nice, but they have limited controls in comparison to the SBMM Ray series. You'd get more tonal range from the Peavey, I'd think, but you won't get the MM sound that you'd get from the SUB.

3. Ken J

Ken J Coginchaug New Horizons Band/Skinning Cats Gold Supporting Member

I’ll give what I got.
    I can’t help with the Sterling but I’m willing to bet the response on the lower end will be better. The newer Grinds are a little weak on the “B” string but unless you place a better grade of bass side by side you might not realize it.
    I would question the ad from American Musical. Ask them if this is a new Grind. The one there showing has the scalloped horn and this is an older model. There are those on this site that can tell you the difference in the years but what I have found the scalloped horns were from Indonesia and the flat horns were from China. There is a big difference in the quality and sound the Indonesian are much better.
    If this is old new stock it might be a keeper.
    Spend some time on eBay filtering out 5 string Grinds and you can pick up the scalloped horn 5 string grind for $300-350 with a case. I picked up one for under $300 with a case and thinking of Defreting her and upgrading the soap bars.
    Hope this helps.

4. ibg2dffr

ibg2dffr

I am glad I asked about this. I would not be aware about the difference between the new grinds and the old grinds otherwise. I will go ahead and ask them. Thanks for your input!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ibg2dffr

ibg2dffr

with this being said, would it be better to set aside some money and save up to get the MM's? I know that in the future I will be buying MM's, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon yet..lol.. that's why these SUBs kinda caught my eyes.

7. justinellison3

justinellison3

I personally think the ibanez basses are perfect for Worship. I used to own one and it was great bass but I wanted a P bass and a J bass (for the stereotype) but you should get some bartolini pickups in the one you got and it will sound phenomenal!!

BUT... if you really want a 5er, don't go with either of those. I would go for a 5-string Schetner or another Ibanez. Like I said, just get some Barts and that will be an upgrade that you WILL NOT regret plus it'll only cost about $100-200

:D

8. ibg2dffr

ibg2dffr

I was looking at a 5-string Ibanez that had bartolini pick-ups on them that cost around 700 i think. I liked the bartolini pups, but it was way over the budget. By any chance was your Ibanez the same model as mine? I like Ibanez basses in general, but I've seen some not so good Ibanezes too, so I wanted to try something different for a change.

I was thinking of buying a 5-string because, our worship team likes to be in the jazzy side, and I think the 5th string would benefit it somehow in some of the techniques I use to play (in terms of reaching the needed notes easier). I stand corrected for that though lol.

Also which bartolini pups would you recommend if I were to just change my pick-ups on my current bass?

9. awilkie84

awilkie84

Having played a Ray35, I'd say it's well worth the saving.
    They play so well, and are comparable to the Ernie Ball Stingrays.
    The only difference I could notice was the weight & slight tonal difference.

10. justinellison3

justinellison3

What kind of ibanez do you have?

11. ibg2dffr

ibg2dffr

I currently have a GSR 200 Ibanez

12. justinellison3

justinellison3

I had the SR 300 which is significantly different from yours. I would look to getting the SR 400 or 500. Those will be worth it because they use EMG pups (I think that's right) but those are a way better upgrade from what you had.

Plus the pup choices are your preference. Just research them and try. New things

13. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Those basses are a bit of a step up from your Ibanez.
    That Musicman is $300, so I would rather recommend this, Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass jobby at that price range.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jazz-bass/519639000010000

If you like Ibanez, the Ibanez SRX2 jobby is nice, but it's a bit heavier compared to a SR300. I don't know how heavy your GSR200 is so maybe it's moot.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-srx2ex2rd-electric-bass-guitar

Made-in-China Fender P-Bass jobby.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-blacktop-precision-bass

Washburn Stu Hamm jobby.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/washburn-stu-hamm-signature-electric-bass-w-active-pickups

14. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Try out a few schecters, too. Very good 5 string basses IMO. The neck isn't that typical wide and flat profile that most 5ers seem to have. And the ones that I have tried have had good B strings.

And I use my 4 string Schecter for praise band at church whenever I play bass there. A bit tighter sound than my P gets DI into the PA.

15. ibg2dffr

ibg2dffr

Thank you for all your input everyone. I tried shopping around the schecters and I think I'd like to give them a try. However, I've seen in some reviews that the neck is wider compared to the Ibanez basses. Would you recommend Schecters in my case?

I'm really looking towards buying a 5-string. I have smaller hands (I'm a girl lol). My middle finger is about 3 inches long the longest length of my palm (measured at the end of the palm towards the wrists + my middle finger is about 7 inches total). I'm probably going later to GC to check out what Schecters they have.

16. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Comparing 4 string models, my stiletto neck is skinnier than the ibanez sr necks. My girlfriend is more comfortable on my schecters neck than the ibby. And she's super small.

I feel like the 5 string necks are smaller on schecters than ibanez regarding width. They're a little thicker for sure. My 4 string stiletto feels a lot like a jazz bass neck.

17. icecycle66

icecycle66

I've always been a big fan of Peavy instruments.
    They alway fit me necely and had a very clean sound to them. They are nice a responsive to the intent you are trying to apply with your hands and can turn out a pleasent array of tones that can cut it in any style.

I've never played anything by Music Man, so I can't speak on that.

18. ibg2dffr

ibg2dffr

oh okay, I guess I have to go out and see how it fits to my taste. Are they good for slapping though? A lot have been telling me that Schecters aren't really the first choice if you use the slap/pop technique a lot. I tend to use it a lot. :bassist:

19. ibg2dffr

ibg2dffr

Thanks! I have only played a friend's Peavey once way long ago so I couldn't really tell now if I actually liked it or not. lol

20. jlepre

jlepre

Not sure the Schecter would get that TONE that the SR5 would provide. However they do give a nice sizzle utilizing the bridge PUP. Plus the 35" scale really helps focus the B string.

21. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I use mine for it quite a bit. It's different than slapping on a P, but it's definitely doable. You just gotta try it to see if it'll work for you or not.