help me choose: Sterling sub ray 4 VS schecter extreme stiletto 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shibaku, Jan 27, 2014.

1. shibaku

shibaku

So it's up to these 2 basses. I played both and I just can't decide.

The schecter costs 250 euro used
    The sterling is 339 euro new and is barely available used

I play in an alternative rockband with influences from post-hardcore and poppunk.

I currently own a Squier VM jazz. I look how it plays but i just want something new to be honest.

Which would be the best value for my money? I'm going to need it for a lot of gigs and studio work.
  2. shibaku

shibaku

3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I would say the sterling but the VM jazz is probably a better instrument overall...IMO of course.
  4. maxpayneatlarge

maxpayneatlarge

I have one of these Schecters and for the money, it's a very versatile bass.

Chris
  5. Rabidrasbora

Rabidrasbora Supporting Member

Recommend spending time with both--the necks don't compare well (in my opinion these necks are total opposites--Sterling is round & deep while the Schecter is flat & wide with no noticeable curvature). Sound-wise, they don't really compare either...not bad, just different. Both are solid values for 4-strings 'tho. 5-strings I thought the Schecter had a firmer/truer B...
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I have the Sub Ray 4 and Ray 5. Excellent basses - had a Schecter briefly. Both are good choices imo, but as mentioned above, both different animals. Sub has a more rugged appeal imo, the Schecter is well, more refined... don't know but that's just my perception of the two basses.
    Again both good choices, depends on what will suit you best. That being said, value for money at this point, Schecter is used and going for 250 Euros (how much is it new?) and the Sterling is 339 Euros new. Perhaps, if both things being equivalent, get the Schecter first and get the Sub when used ones start showing up in the market. Worse case scenario is you can sell the Schecter if you're not too happy with it and then use the proceeds to buy a used Sub when it becomes available. Just a thought and my two cents.
  7. shibaku

shibaku

the schecter new is about 500 euro here.

I've noticed they are both different beasts but i'm still searching on what would sound best for my band.

For the sterling i know i want to own a a real musicman one day but at this point it is no use for me invest that kind of money yet. I'm only a student and my band is only getting started with our first few paid gigs.

i think i'm gonna sleep on it and see makes most sense at this point.
  8. Maxdusty

Someone posted this the other day...the sound of the Sterling Sub Ray compared to the more expensive Sterling/MM Ray.
    Actually pretty darn close, so if you've had the hankering for a Musicman but can't afford it, the Sub is pretty close to it in sound and a whole lot cheaper.
    Reason why you're not seeing a lot of them used. The used ones here in the States get bought as soon as the listing is up. Especially the 4 string Rays.

9. Manuel B

Manuel B

I bought my Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 judged by how well it was put together and the quality of the woods and finish, with the 6 screws holding the neck and the double stringers in the neck I thought it would be great, I was wrong, the neck is wobbly, put a Snark on it and push slightly with your little finger on the head and you can change notes, you have to be gentle or you get string rattle or go flat, the knob setup is not simple, Schecter is quick to respond to any questions, they wrote me this when we could not figure out the knob functions, actually I still don't even after having other bassists play it.

"If you are looking at the front of the bass and you think of the knob layout like a diamond, the top of the diamond is the blend knob. The knob closest to the pickups and strings is the master volume control. Next to the volume control is the treble control. The bottom of the diamond shape is the bass control. The blend, treble and bass controls all have a dip in the center position. For the 2 EQ controls, this dip represents the EQ resting at zero, turning it up will give you an EQ boost and turning them down will cut those frequencies. For the blend knob, the center position splits the output evenly between the pickups, rolling it back selects just the bridge pickup and then turning it the other direction selects the neck pickup. I hope this information is useful."
  10. Maxdusty

I was at Guitar Center today and tried a few different Schecter models. Was in the market for another bass. While a good sounding bass, I didn't like the overall feel of the Stiletto. The neck seemed a little bit chunky to me and I don't think it's possible to get the strings as low as I normally want it on them.
    Was getting ready to go get a Yamaha Bass but saw a used Sub Stingray going for $159.99 in perfect condition in white. So now, I have another Sub in my collection. :)