Help me choose !!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by himluis1, Dec 14, 2012.

1. himluis1

himluis1

I have two MiM fender jazz basses , one is active deluxe n the other is just a standard jazz , both of them,need new strings n is the first time that i will replace the stock strings , any suggestions ??? i play latin jazz , gospel and most church stuff !!! thanks
  2. himluis1

himluis1

??? anybody ???
  3. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

What type of tone are you looking for? Bright? Mellow?
    High tension? Low tension?

EDIT: I go back and forth between Chromes and Nickel Wound XL from D'Addario. More Nickel Wound these days.
  4. backup

backup

yes answer these!

if i had those basses id put DR sunbeams or nickel lowriders on the active jazz and fender flats (or chromes) on the passive one
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You might perhaps do a search on TB for any of the many discussions of "what strings should I get"......and in those threads, seek the hundreds of opinions offered?
  7. himluis1

himluis1

well relly dont know much about different tones or sounds , im just looking for something long lasting reliable and that sounds good on my 2 jazz basses !!! the passive one i bought it used , is a 2008 j.bass and it had all plastics like new , almost never played but the strings are the stock ones , 4+years thats too old ... dont know if i should put fenders , dunlop or d,addario ... thats all , thanks
  8. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

If you like brighter (and I think you do), try out D'Addario XL Nickel Wounds, or if you like really bright, ProSteels. The long scale should work, regular light gauge. They sell these pretty much everywhere, usually under $20.
  9. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Chromes on the Standard, 45-100 gauge

DR Hi Beams on the active, 45-105 gauge
  10. aprod

aprod

My vote is for D'Adarrio's round wound nickel XL's. You need 45, 65, 80 100 gauges to replace those original strings.I think we get a discount at this site;http://www.bassstringsonline.com/
  11. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

I'd try some DR Fat Beams on your active jazz and D'addario tapewounds on the passive jazz. I play a lot of latin jazz stuff too and find them both really articulate, but they sound completely different. Isn't that the point of having different basses?