1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Help me complete my rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hgiles, Dec 7, 2012.

1. hgiles

hgiles

So i just purchased a closeout Genz Benz 3.0 shuttle 175w into 8; 300w into 4.

Next step is a cab(s). There are a couple 210 cabs available on my local craigslist. Both 4 ohms. One is SWR Goliath Jr 2, the other is Aguilar. i think its an s210.

Should i hold out for something else? Or will theses serve for a newbie bass player?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hold out for an 8 Ohm 210, 212, or 115. That way you can get a matching cab and have better output from your rig.

3. Tuned

Tuned

Disagree with getting second cab. The SWR 2x10 can handle all 300W as long as you're not slamming the limiter all night. Not sure the Aguilar can, but it's a viable option.

4. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

And yet there is nothing wrong with getting 2 cabs either.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

And getting two cabs will net you an increase in sensitivity, which is a good thing when dealing with a low powered head.

7. Tuned

Tuned

With one 2x10 that handles the amp's full 4 ohm output you're only getting 3dB less than two similar 8 ohm cabs. That's a pretty heavy 3dB to have to carry around. If more volume is needed, more amp is needed too.

8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    No disagreement... But the op didnt ask about changing out his amp. :rolleyes:

9. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I would prefer 2 8 Ohm Cabs with Neo's. Nice & light and you only need one for smaller gigs but have the option to use both a bigger venues. I truly prefer a head that can go down to 2 ohm's.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I agree with waiting for a good 8 ohm 210, or better, 212. Adding a 2nd one later would net 6dB increase, due to doubling spkrs AND increased power output.

11. levonrocks

levonrocks

The SWR Goliath cabs are really awesome. I used to use the SWR workingman cabs, which got the job done, but the Goliath cabs are much better.

12. jlepre

jlepre

+1000

13. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Id say hold off for a 8 ohm. Otherwise if you want to expand (which I would recommend) you will need to sell the 4 ohm first then get 2 8's.

14. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

Do you know what 3db actually amounts to ??? A lot of the actual signal power

15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    +1, equated to doubling the power of the amp.

16. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Yep. I agree. Hang in there for an 8 ohm cab. Even if you upgrade amps later, odds are two 8 ohm cabs will still work nicely with whatever you end up getting. And (as stated earlier) more speaker surface area will increase your volume even better than more watts. So get a really common 8 ohm cab with a good reputation. That way you can keep you eyes peeled for another one. One will do fine for now. But getting it 8 ohms will allow for more options in the future.

17. wmheilma

wmheilma

The SWR Goliath Jr. 2x10 is a great little cab! I have owned a bunch of SWR cabs, and still have a Goliath Sr 6x10 for louder shows. If you are looking for a lot of volume from the Shuttle, try Henry the 8x8. It is 4 Ohm cab that does not need a lot of power and can be found used for a good price. It is not too bad to move around, and it adds some character to the tone of the GB which is pretty transparent. ( I use a Shuttle MAX 6.0 most of the time.)

18. hgiles

hgiles

ORIGINAL POSTER

I found a pair of 8 OHM Peavey 115 cabs that I can probably get cheap. They are not bass speakers, but are full range mains from the late 80s I think, but they're in good shape. Will these work?

19. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I would pass, they wont give you much below ~150hz. easy to blow.

20. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It would depend on the 15's that are in them. Might sound great. Plus you could pick up 1 15" Neodymium replacement driver with higher power handling to start off. Then add another to the other Cabinet later. Or maybe you'll find they're all you need as is.