1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help me dating this Fender bass called "Frankie"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plambri, Nov 20, 2012.

1. plambri

plambri

Hi Folks,

I recently bought from a friends of mine this Fender Jazz bass. I know it's not made of genuine parts (that is the reason of its nick - Frankenstein) but it plays well.

I wish to date body and neck and understand a little bit more of its history.
    I guess this originally was a Pbass body (because of the original pickup shape) which was modified and then mounted on a Jbass neck (the serial number of the neck is S733091) but I've noticed that the original Pbass pickup was "reversed" compared to the original Pbass position.

I need Mr. Holmes to reconstruct the history of this bass!
    I took some photo to help me understanding date and parts (I can only attach 2 photos max to this thread).

Any clue?

Attached Files:

2. plambri

plambri

Other photos of the neck and the bridge

Attached Files:

3. preside

preside

That looks to me like a jazz bass someone added a P-bass P/U to then changed thier mind, so it was not originally a P-bass body.
  4. plambri

plambri

bridge detail

Attached Files:

5. plambri

plambri

overview and neck plate

Attached Files:

6. plambri

plambri

electronics

Attached Files:

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... 70's Jazz ash body ... 70's pup spacing .. micro-tilt neck ... home of a transient P pup for at least a while ... there will be a few along to detail for you shortly I would imagine ..
  8. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

I had one of these, its most likely a 76 - 79 J Bass, the Bullet Truss Rod and 3 bolt neck are dead give aways.
  9. cdef

cdef

Yep - looks like an original mid-to-late-'70's Fender Jazz, 3-bolt neck and all, at some time re-routed to take a P pickup in reverse position. Schecter brass bridge and control plate look early '80s.