Help me dating this Fender bass called "Frankie"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plambri, Nov 20, 2012.

1. plambri

plambri

Hi Folks,

I recently bought from a friends of mine this Fender Jazz bass. I know it's not made of genuine parts (that is the reason of its nick - Frankenstein) but it plays well.

I wish to date body and neck and understand a little bit more of its history.
    I guess this originally was a Pbass body (because of the original pickup shape) which was modified and then mounted on a Jbass neck (the serial number of the neck is S733091) but I've noticed that the original Pbass pickup was "reversed" compared to the original Pbass position.

I need Mr. Holmes to reconstruct the history of this bass!
    I took some photo to help me understanding date and parts (I can only attach 2 photos max to this thread).

Any clue?

Attached Files:

2. plambri

plambri

Other photos of the neck and the bridge

Attached Files:

3. preside

preside

That looks to me like a jazz bass someone added a P-bass P/U to then changed thier mind, so it was not originally a P-bass body.

4. plambri

plambri

bridge detail

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. plambri

plambri

overview and neck plate

Attached Files:

7. plambri

plambri

electronics

Attached Files:

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... 70's Jazz ash body ... 70's pup spacing .. micro-tilt neck ... home of a transient P pup for at least a while ... there will be a few along to detail for you shortly I would imagine ..

9. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

I had one of these, its most likely a 76 - 79 J Bass, the Bullet Truss Rod and 3 bolt neck are dead give aways.

10. cdef

cdef

Yep - looks like an original mid-to-late-'70's Fender Jazz, 3-bolt neck and all, at some time re-routed to take a P pickup in reverse position. Schecter brass bridge and control plate look early '80s.