Help me decide - Best combo for my needs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassphreak, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Carvin BR510

16 vote(s)
  2. GK MB210ii

24 vote(s)
  3. Fender Rumble 500

20 vote(s)
  4. TCE BG250/210

11 vote(s)
  5. Save you money for the Markbass 210

30 vote(s)
  6. Other (post a better option)

10 vote(s)
  1. OK....I've been on the hunt for a decent 2x10 combo for a while. I've tried those that are available locally but there are several that aren't available.

My 'needs':

- 210 (2x10) combo - I've tried several 15s and I'm just not a 15 guy
    - min of 250w (to internal speakers)
    - Max weight of 65lbs
    - Versatile - I want to run clean for acoustic and small bar gigs with rock band (mod volume)
    - Quiet (I've had a lot of noisy combos recently)
    - Good DI
    - Max budget $500

I've tried the old Fender Rumbles, Ampeg BA600, Fender 400 Pro, GK MB115, Hydrive 210c, Markbass 112, and prob a few more.

I really like the Markbass CMD102P but they tip the scales on budget.

So I've got my options narrowed to:

- Carvin BR510 - great specs and the BX500 head with tube pre
    - Fender Rumble 500 - getting good initial reviews - but new model
    - TC Electronics BG250 210 - gets good reviews but haven't seen a 210 near
    - GK MB210ii - have to be used if they come up - heard about issues with this run and haven't had much luck with the MB115s
    - try to keep saving for a Markbass (I'm not a patient man)
  2. Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Genz Benz Contour 210. 300W or 500W w/extension cab. I got my 115 for $325 shipped, brand new! Loud as heck, good tone. There are several threads on here about the contours. Incredible bang for the buck.
  3. I saw those on eBay for less than $400. Haven't heard much about them.
  4. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I love my GK MB210-II. No issues whatsoever. Killer amp.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Bassist of Bright Young Sea Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm a huge GK fan, but that Fender Rumble 500 V3 is a PRETTY sick amp. Since it's in your budget, I'd suggest going with that one.
  7. bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    aurora colorado
  8. I see that Ampeg is coming out also with an updated 210 combo. BUT given their track record I don't think I would do a first run of anything they put out.
  9. enderwaves

Mar 6, 2007
    milton, wv
    I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring for the GK. I have the 400RB 2x10 combo, and it's become my go to amp. I scored it used for about 200 bucks, and it's rock solid reliable, I can play most gigs with headroom left over, and it's a heck of a lot easier on the back than dragging around the Sunn 2x15. Lots of good tone options, even better with a Sansamp in front of it.

That said, everyone's comments about the Genz, plus that price, is pushing all of my GAS buttons.
  10. Hey there,

If you've tried it and know you like it, it's worth the wait for a Markbass, IMO.

Yes, they cost cubic $'s, but when you know they will do what you want, the extra dough is worth it.

Kind of like buying tools..."Buy insert expensive brand here, cry once, buy insert less-than-ideal choice here, cry twice."

All the best,

11. Shanebo: I know I know. It's hard to justify a 50% (used or 100% for new) increase in cost. It's a big dent in the budget.
  12. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Ampeg B100R. Not 2x10 but probably the best combo...
  13. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Aurora IL
    That was my vote. GK rocks in every way IMO. Im a GK fanboy. Light, powerful, sounds awesome, great DI, not too expensive and you can add an extension cab onto I believe if you want more UMPF!
  14. Thanks all. Keep em coming. I may have a line on something but may not work out. If you see a Markbass for a killer deal let me know. If I could find one for the $700 or less range I'd jump,,,,,but only seen that a few times over the past 2 years and was never in a position to move on it.
  15. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Columbia, Maryland
    I like the BG250, but I don't think anyone should buy the BG250-210. I don't think they should get sales with the pricing.
  16. drpepper: I agree - the pricepoint on the BG250- is too high. If GC offers a 20% coupon soon I might jump if I haven't grabbed something.

The tough part is, except for the MB I can't try out any of the amps locally. Most combos at any of my local shops are 115.
  17. Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    BR510 is a really good amp at a really good price. The ability to pull the BX500 and use it as a standalone is a huge plus. Just know in advance that Carvin cabs can be a little boxy sounding off the shelf. Adding a bit of damping to them makes a big difference; a small investment in time and a few bucks that makes an already pretty good cab into a great one.
  18. Lo-E - thanks. I know the head is great but not as sure about the combo cab and speakers. If I can't land a MB for a decent price, I'm leaning to the Carvin because of the head and the better DI.
  19. marcblum

Apr 29, 2008
    Aachen, Germany
  20. While you are saving up more $$$ for your desired MarkBass, that will give the new version 3 Fender Rumbles time to arrive at your music store. Do yourself a favor and A/B a Rumble 500 210 combo vs the MarkBass of your choice. Then you can join the Fender Rumble Club! :)
  21. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    If you are coming near CT, I have a killer Trace Elliot combo I am thinking of selling or trading. 300 watts, 2x10, great DI. I am looking to scale down my rig.

Either way, spent a few bucks and get removable casters. - smartest thing to do on a big combo.