Help me decide: GK MB Fusion/TC BH250/Aguilar TH500 ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brianchiu, Nov 6, 2012.

1. brianchiu

brianchiu

Need help!
    Please help me to choose from these 3 heads; I have never played any of these 3 heads, but I have played GK MB500, TC RH450, and Aguilar DB751, love them all! Although I have to say I'm not so impressed with Aguilar's slap sound, but I don't slap much anyway.:smug:

Looks like BH250 has the whole package,it even has AUX in and headphone output! And also the price is very friendly, but not sure if it sounds like RH450 and also worry it's not powerful enough for gigs; really like the GK sound but it's the only one doesn't have SMPS,which is a pain in the butt 'cause I travel to 240V countries a lot; not sure if TH500 has the similar tone quality to DB751...:(

Any opinion appreciated, thanks !! :bassist:
  2. rodl2005

rodl2005

Only played the Aggie outta those 3, but I do like it's "muted" tops. I find I use slap a li'l more than with other amps because of it. Gives a real vintage tone & I far prefer this top to the "modern" splanky slap tones.
    It's a very light, small, powerful & lovely tone too.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Actually the MB Fusion does use a SMPS. It is not auto switching though, it requires moving jumpers inside the amp.
  4. bassmaster831

bassmaster831 Supporting Member

The BH250!!I bought it originally as a backup and I now gig with it primarily. I think its rated at 300 watts/ 35 lbs but its surprisingly loud. Ive used it for everything including outdoor gigs and anything that really needs more goes through the DI to the house PA system.only costs 300-400 bucks. I gig around 10-20 times a month and this amp has def held up for me since early this year. I play with 2 guitarists and a drummer and i've never had a problem hearing myself or cutting through the mix. You can also upload effects onto it with your phone or usb from a computer. I also have an RH450 and this can dial in most of the same sounds. I actually prefer the BH250 because of weight, simplicity, and fatness of tone. I highly recommend it
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassics4

bassics4

Was also thinking of the same amp list with the EBS Reidmar 250 added. Any feedback when the EBS is thrown in the mix?
  7. brianchiu

brianchiu

I found EBS doesn't have enough bottom, kinda lack of that fat and punchy sound... to my ears anyway; but it does have that crispy slapping tone.;)
  8. brianchiu

brianchiu

Thanks for this info! Can you explain a bit more? How do you do that?:(
  9. brianchiu

brianchiu

This is a very exciting info for me, thanks! May I ask what kinda of music you play with BH250? And what cab?:)
  10. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

I can't help thinking he was referring to the BG250...so that would be the same amp in a 1x15 w/ tweeter combo.
  11. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I had the GK for awhile and it is a great amp. I only got rid of it because I use my GB STM900 as my main amp. I did give the TH500 a run but I couldn't get a sound dialed in that I liked. I am not familiar with the TC. If I had to pick between the GK and the TH I would go with the GK. I think you have a lot more flexability with the GK.
  12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

You might want to try an Orange TB500h. I just bought one after trying it on a gig. Stunning.
  13. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

I have a fusion - running at the original settings (EU voltages).

I like the amp a whole lot and recommend you try it!
    Here's a link I found. The last post has some links in it (linkception!:eek:).

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/gallien-krueger-mb-fusion-can-you-change-power-supply-759037/

Inner links:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/gk-mb500-mb2-500-supply-voltage-change-719279/
    http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31330
  14. brianchiu

brianchiu

Agreed. I've played MB500 for a few times a really enjoyed it! The only reason I haven't got one for myself is the voltage switch issue.:bawl:
  15. brianchiu

brianchiu

Very useful links! Thanks a lot!! :hyper::hyper:
  16. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

You're very welcome, There are a lot of options, if I were switching voltages more than once or twice a year I'd go for a head that enabled this with switches like the TC or some Hartke and ampeg heads.

Totally up to you, I haven't touched the voltage jumpers so I can't comment on how it'll work out. Happy hunting! (Remember the warrantee!)
  17. brianchiu

brianchiu

I'd probably need to switch it a couple of times a month,seems like a pain in the butt... and that's why I have BH250 and TH500 in my options, 'cause they don't have this voltage problem and I have tried their big brothers and sound good to me!:bassist:
  18. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Cool cool, I know if you were going to rack mount the GK then you'd have more options - but you'd lose rack space with a converter, and need a much bulkier system overall.

Here are the other switching heads I know of:

PF500:
    [​IMG]

LH500:
    [​IMG]

GB shuttle:
    [​IMG]

GB Streamliner:
    [​IMG]

And the ones you already have on the menu (TH and TC). AFAIK the Markbass heads can be switched with a simple fuse swap - still not ideal but easier than the GK!
  19. brianchiu

brianchiu

This is very nice of you, thanks a lot!:cool:

PF500... a bit too heavy; Hartke... never a fan of it's sound; GB... I just got rid of my Shuttle 600 :p:p

Looks like it's gonna be BH250 or TH500, tonewise I'd pick GK or Markbass, but no point of buying an amp that can't be used in half of my gigs...:atoz:
  20. vin*tone

vin*tone

Don't rule out the GB Shuttle 6.2 or Streamliner. They are very different to the Shuttle 6.0.
  21. brianchiu

brianchiu

Good to know that, will consider it, thank s a lot!:bassist::bassist: