Help me decide my next piece to play!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by The Dominus, Mar 20, 2014.

1. The Dominus

The Dominus

Hello, forums! I just started playing the bass two and a half years ago, and I am in need of a new piece to play. I just finished the Capuzzi concerto, the arrangement in F major, and am ready to start a new piece with my teacher. I would love to do a concerto again, though I am definitely open to other options. Ideally, the piece would be between 10 and 15 minutes long. I have approximately a year to get this new piece, whatever it is, to performance quality. I am a full time student at high school, though, so my time is limited (highly). My teacher has suggested to me the Dragonetti and the Dittersdorf concertos, and I absolutely love the Dittersdorf but I do not know if it would be too hard. My teacher has never played it, so he is just guessing at its difficulty. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions, or insight for the Dittersdorf? If I do do the Dittersdorf, what version would be best for the natural 4 string orchestral tuning? How does the Koussevitzky concerto compare in difficulty to the Dittersdorf and the Dragonetti?
    On another note, my friend and I are about to finish the Rossini duet. Are there any other good Cello-Bass duets out there or suggestions for transposition pieces (bass-bass or cello-cello)? Thank you all for your help!
  2. completelytypic

completelytypic

I absolutely love the Koussevitsky, but it is way harder than both the Dittersdorf and the Dragonetti (it has a lot of treble clef, but the other two concertos have a lot more bass clef in comparison). I think a smart progression would be either concerto, and I would also suggest the Vanhal, although that one's a bit harder.

I just finished playing the Dragonetti Duet for Cello and Bass, and I believe that one's easier than the Rossini, but it's pretty and fun.

That being said, I've been playing for the same length of time as you have, so you should probably listen to your teacher more than me =P

Have fun!