Help me decide on a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gilpet, Mar 6, 2014.

1. gilpet

gilpet

Hello bass players, I'm pretty set on buying this Orange Terror Bass 500W head http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/11437/Guitars/Bass_Amps/Orange_Amplifiers/500W_Bass_Head.htm , switchable at 4 & 8 Ohms but I'm really not sure what to get for a speaker cab... I play with 2 guitarists, one plays an orange head through a 4x10 cab and one plays a 212 tube combo amp, I want to make sure I'm able to cut through this.

I'm pretty fuzzy on the whole Ohms thing, and matching heads and speakers in general. Where my head is 500W at 8 and 4 ohms, would that be too powerful for a 400W speaker? Would love some experienced advice! Thanks.

2. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

"Would that be too powerful for a 400W speaker?"

Not if you're careful with the volume. I've run a 600 watt Ampeg SVT 7-PRO (600 watts at 8 ohms/1000 watts at 4 ohms) into a 400 watt 8 ohm speaker before without any problems. I just never cranked the volume past about 1 o'clock.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

I have that Orange head and run it into a Bag End 1x15 rated for 250 watts. Never had a problem.

Get the cab that sounds the best to you. Any buy used!

4. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

for me to be happy I prefer to have an equal amount of speakers as both guitarists combined. in my band my singer plays guitar through an orange dual terror and orange 212 and the lead guitar player plays through a 5150 212 combo, my ampeg 410he works perfect. When they were both using 412 cabs I used an 810e.

5. Register to disable this ad