1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help me decide please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JDLowEnd, Jan 23, 2014.

1. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

I am currently in there market for a more "well rounded" bass. I currently have a squier vm precision 5 string bass that gets most of my playing. Next I have a parts precision, think pino palladino, cv 60's body, aftermarket neck, and vintage '62 pickup. I was looking for something that can fill the void, I am looking at either the reggie Hamilton jazz bass (p/j, active/passive) with a hipshot bass extender. The other option is a G&L L2500 tribute bass. I currently play in a rock band that has a few songs in "d". I have already learned the songs on my current 5 string as well. I am just wondering people's thoughts on these two basses. I use a pf-500 and a pf1115he. I use a few pedals (overdrive, delay, and sonic stomp). Ideally I am looking for that "Swiss army knife" bass that I can use for anything.
    Thanks,
    JD
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Without a budget it's hard to say or give any real input. For me, I'd look at EBMM Bongos. Talk about Swiss Army Knife... I have a fretted and fretless, and well, have been essentially GAS free since.
  3. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

I'd like to keep it under $1200 I believe at this point, my girlfriend wants me to start putting money away for a down payment on a house...
  4. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Used Bongo 5 H/HH/HS should all be able to find in that price range. This would be my personal go-to choice. I can't say enough good things about these basses. I've yet to really find a tone that I couldn't get in the ballpark out of my HH or HS.
    The Warwick $$s are pretty nice too, and again should fall in that range. The one I had was a tank (weight wise), but had some pretty good tonal options.
    L-2500's are nice, with lots of tonal options baked right in, especially if you get on with the K switch.
    You can probably even find a Bolt On USA Spector in that range, which would be not as many options as the previous ones, but still has a wide tonal platter and are top notch basses.

Those are the only ones I can really speak of having owned in the past or presently own.

If you're going to look at the L-2500, look at the M-2500 too.
  5. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Fender Jazz nothing it wont do.
  6. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

Selta,
    The mm basses you listed, sound pretty modern as far as tone is concerned. I still want to me able to nail a vintage tone as well, with also having the flexibility of a preamp
  7. bungletrpg

bungletrpg Supporting Member

Maybe a Lakland 55-02?
  8. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Supporting Member

:rolleyes: pfffttt....shelter is overrated! ;)

anywho, I tend to feel like my J bass is very versatile. It is an MIJ 92 AVRI 62. I use it in all situations from my crossover/thrash band to pit orchestra gigs etc. I think the only style I have never used it for is klezmer...granted, I also make small adjustments in technique and EQ settings since it is more than just the bass that creates the sound!
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Jazz bass of some sort. You can get a MIA Standard for around $700, toss a John East J Retro into it and you'll have vintage & modern covered pretty well. You can also find a Lakland JO or DJ for your price range...killer instruments.
  10. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

I have been looking at the john east retro preamp.....
  11. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    What are you calling "vintage tone", though? I can nail what IMO are vintage tones with my HS reasonably well. It won't be a P with flats, but it'll be close enough to be confused with one in a mix. To a purist though, I'm sure they're not even close :D
  12. zeusathood920

zeusathood920

I recently got a fender v jazz bass I play metal, progressive, rock, country, indie. Plays well with all. What type of delay do you have?
  13. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

It's an analog delay, one of those cheapies from joyo, does what I need. Seems like a jazz is the way to go, I'm hoping that having the precision as well will give me versatility