1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by paradog, Feb 6, 2014.

?

Pick one

1. Carvin MB10

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Carvin MB12

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Carvin MB 210

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  4. Carvin MB115

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. paradog

paradog

Well I was all set to get a separate head and cab but the last storm caused damage to my car that needed repair. So I've opted to get a combo from Carvin...but I just don't know which one to pick. So here it goes...
  2. paradog

paradog

right not the majority is towards the MB210.....not over yet!
  3. Goldmember

Goldmember

You forgot to offer the elusive Carvin Carrot Amp as a fifth choice, which would have been my selection. ;)
  4. elgecko

elgecko

How are you going to use it?
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you are going to gig with this amp then the 1x10 would be out. The other three would need an extension cabinet to get enough to play with a medium to loud band. I like the 2x10 form factor but I use a pair for a gig.
  6. paradog

paradog

sorry if i was so vague...will be used mostly for practicing...might do a little small gigs and or will be running thru a PA
  7. soulman969

soulman969

Out of that set of choices and for your purposes I'd suggest the MB12. Tonally it should be the most versatile. You might also look at the tc electronic BG250 series. Their 112 and 115 would be very competitive to the Carvins price wise and they're great combo amps.
  8. Davyo

Davyo

As much as I have owned and loved Carvin gear I will never buy their stuff again as they do not offer extended warranty's,,,,,,, after one year your on your own.

I learned this about Carvin the hard way.

Any of the new GK combos or the newer TC Electronic's BG250 combo's would be my suggestion, ,,, and get an extended warranty whenever buying a combo.

Cheers
    davyo
  9. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

If you play a 5 string, I'd vote for the MB15. Then I'd vote for eventually adding another 115MB extension cab under it.

The BG250-115 is a fine amp. I just sold mine to get the above stack, but it does great as a standalone….
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I like 10s but I am not a fan of Carvin. For me, its Ampeg or GK.
  11. Jensby design

Jensby design

Something to think about is, will you want to add an ext cab, when you have the money?
    If not I would suggest the MB12, better specs.
  12. Crabby

Crabby

I bought the MB210 in December and then opted for a matching extension cab as they were on sale. very impressed for a "budget" combo. Seems to be very well made, portable, has a fantastic compressor and the combo on its own can cover a fair bit of ground. With the extension cab, its quite a loud rig yet still super portable.

[​IMG]
  13. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

On paper anyway. I found the MB12 to be the least impressive of the 3 when I did an A/B/C at Carvin. YMMV.