Help me design a bass build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6stringvince, Dec 7, 2013.

1. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

Got wood... that's all I have, a rosewood piece for fretboard, a plank of maple and one of walnut both 1" think, so I will be laminating. I want fretless, and somewhat modern sounding, punchy and somewhat hifi. This will be my first full build, I've made several assembly type builds in the passed, one body , but never a neck.
    So here's what I'm contemplating, neckthrough or bolt on, scale, bridge, tuners, active or passive (I like simplicity, but if I need active to achieve the sound so be it), and last but not least, the pups.
    I'm thinking I'll be laminating the neck to quarter sawn, 3 or 5 layers. Do I really need a truss rod?, It will also be my first fretless, so either lines or dots are a must.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

I'd use the walnut plank for the thicker, bottom of the bass body and carve the maple down as the top.

3. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Yes to truss rod! It is simple so go for it. Just get everything as straight as you can before routing of glueing anything together. I would go with side dots at least but put them on the fret line and not center of fret. Not sure the sound you want but if you like a j bass style sound on a fret less try the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz with a nice pre with active passive switch. Best of both worlds. Good luck and post progress pics. Also ask as many questions ax needed.

Also if if was me I would go with a bolt on. They are just easier to build and adjust in the neck pocket if more less neck angle is needed.

4. 6stringvince

Yeah, bolt on is probably wise, if I really mess up the neck I can always make another.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 6stringvince

Trying to choose the pickups, I'm leaning towards a JJ combo. Pardon my ignorance, but if I go active do I need active pickups, or is it all in the preamp. What about EMG's? Do I need a pre?