1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help me determine the value of my bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seanreiter, Dec 10, 2012.

1. seanreiter

seanreiter Supporting Member

There is a looong back story to this bass but ill keep this short.

In 2005, I purchased a used Warwick Streamer Stage 2 for $1800. It had serious road rash and there was something wrong with the pickups/electronics. I had some of the cosmetic issues addressed and swapped the guts with a set of Barts and an Audere preamp. That ran me another $300 or so. I started getting serious fret buzz about 2 years ago. I took it to a local tech and he informed me that the truss rod is stripped and needs to be replaced. He quoted me around $600.

At this point, I think I just need this thing out of my life, but I know I'm going to take a big loss on it. My question is, what is a fair price to sell it for and can I even expect someone to buy it?

Thanks in advance.
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Someone will buy it for sure have to see pictures first but I still can't get pass the $600.00 for a truss rod replacement a new neck wouldn't cost that much?
  3. seanreiter

Well, it is a NT and the fretboard needs to be melted off first. I guess that is where all the labor is going. No biggie if it was a bolt on.
  4. obimark

obimark

I would not put the value at much with that amount of work needed on it. Especially if it is $600 worth of work and truss rod problems are VERY BAD. Plus changing out the original stuff did not raise the value any, it lowered it. Not sure anyone will buy it for much but who knows? Just my opinion.
  5. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

Well if the neck has a volute then the fretboard has to be removed in order to change out the trussrod. If its an older Warwick, I believe 95 and older without a volute on the neck then it's a simple change.
    I've seen Warwick neck thrus with bad truss rods go for around $600-900 depending on condition. You might even get that without any electronics but it'll be harder to sell. Also depending how bad your neck is depends how much you can get. A simple bend that can be adjust by truss adjustments will be ok but if we're taking about serious twists in neck....
  6. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    A skilled luthier will be able to lift the fingerboard up for the first few frets, and install a new truss rod. I've seen people qoute this for around $300...and if done properly, you cannot even tell it was done. Check out the Warwick & Framus forum for some first hand accounts. http://forum.warwick.de/forum.php
  7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

It's really hard to sell basses with minor issues, let alone something as big as that. I had one bass I tried to sell with a less than stellar jack and no one wanted to touch it until it was replaced. We're talking a $5 part + 20 minutes with a soldering gun worth of work and no one wanted it until it was handled first.
  8. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Second opinion on the truss rod maybe? What's stripped? The head of the bolt where the wrong size allen was used, or the threads on the rod? Is there some creative fix that will let you tighten or relax the truss so the set up is right? Maybe a little backyard welding or grinding?

Maybe you take a crack at it yourself. If a truss rod is $200, and it's quite a bit of labor, $600 doesn't seem out of line. If you ever really loved this bass and it rocked you, I'd fix it. If it's just clutter and a nagging loose end cut it loose.

If it is truly screwed up and unplayable, it's a parts project. There are no easy choices here. That's too bad for a bass with a eye popping price. Maybe somebody over at the luthier corner might like it.

It's kind of like an old car, when it stops running you either fix it or sell it, but selling a car that doesn't run usually means it goes cheap. To sell it in the TB ads you need a price, but just as a place to start.

With the electronics or without? Case or no case?

Sadly, some basses just turn into money pits.

But you wanted a guesstimate: with a case and the barts and preamp and shipped lower 48: $500 or less. The buyer will have to replace the truss rod and may need to do a refret, plus, as nice as the barts and pre package is, it's not the original.

Either hold your nose and fix it, or hold your nose and turn it into quick cash. You are looking at pretty much giving it away. Sorry, I feel for ya.

Last choice, if you are itemizing your taxes and can take a large charitable deduction, give it to a school that can use it.
  9. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

Ill give $500 for it now =) no questions asked!
  10. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

Get a second opinion.

Someone said a TR would cost maybe $200. Not until the year 2075 or so. Even great ones are around 20 bucks.

I would think $600 may be in the ballpark, but get a second opinion anyway. If its an extensive repair, a high quote coaxes commitment to the bass out of you and the repairer is taking the risk of messing it up worse in return.

If that makes any sense at all.
  11. seanreiter

I think I will go for a second opinion before proceeding any further. Thanks to everyone for the great dialog.
  12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Setting the value is easy. Put it on Ebay, describe the condition fully and start it at $99.

At the end of the auction you will know what it's worth, and you'll have it out of your life.
  13. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

^^^that's one way to find out^^^

I stand corrected, even a one minute search turned up truss rods for $26! Add in some shop overhead and a bench rate of $75/ hour ( just another guess) and he's got 7 plus hours of labor to work with. He's just staying on the safe side with his estimate.

http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/thirdpr...odHeader=Truss Rod - Double action welded nut

Can you hire him at an hourly rate? Time and materials?

My experience in giving estimates for jobs is that folks only remember the lowest number you mention, so I always add some wiggle room. If it comes in for less you are a hero. I do a lot of time and material jobs, because like most guys, I can't afford to guess low and end up taking a loss.
  14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1

Used Streamers are selling in the $1,200 range. With $600 in repairs needed and changed electronics, I'd take the $500 offer above.
  15. seanreiter

My SS2 is from 98 but does not have a neck volute. I was just on the Warwick Site and, from the truss rod replacement video, it appears to be an easy replacement. I have my fingers crossed.
  16. seanreiter

Are you still interested? I took it to one more tech and there was nothing he could do for me.