Help me figure my live rig out.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BtsBassPlayer, Dec 30, 2012.

1. BtsBassPlayer

BtsBassPlayer

Currently I am running

mim fender 70 re issued jazz bass with piezo pickups on the bridge.

wirelessly sent to my rack that is

Furman power conditioner
    Audio technica 200 series wireless
    kord dtr 1000 tuner
    Sansamp RBI
    b2re head

Out to my ampeg 8x10 cab
    ____

Currently the sans amp outs to the pa and to my b2re with the b2re only acting as a power amp.

__

I feel like im being choked some where though. i just feel like i could be getting a more loud clear and deep tone.

What do you think needs to change?

Should i swap out the b2re with just a solid power amp?

Would a better wireless system give me more head room?

2. meRTKendrew

meRTKendrew

Does it sound better when you plug straight into the rack? I suspect the wireless system is at fault.

I do lot's of live sound / sound engineering. I promise you wired mics always sound better than wireless mics, I think instruments would be the same. In saying that, my favourite wireless systems are the Line 6 ones.

RTK

3. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    I assume you're coming in the effects return? I bet it's the B2RE, but I'm not 100% sure. The effects loop is really not designed to do this. I've done this myself from time to time and the only amp I've found that it really works good with is Peavey because of where it returns in the circuit.

If you have a power amp you could borrow it's worth trying.

4. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    As far as the wireless, does the sound change greatly when you use a cable?

Honestly it's a cheap wireless and this can greatly effect tone. There's a compressor and an expander involved here. And a cheap one at that.

If you have to have a rack unit get a Line 6 G90, you'll notice a huge difference. If you want to save some money get a Line 6 G50 and mount it to a rack tray. You loose a couple of bells and whistles from the 90 but it's still amazing.

Line 6 doesn't need companding because it's digital.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BtsBassPlayer

BtsBassPlayer

good thoughts guys. i do agree with you sadowsky , i love a wired connection but im in a touring band and the mobility factor of a wireless on stage, bigger stages at that is for worth it. I really do think I am going to get a new wireless system regardless but its priority stance will vary depending on its effect of my rig.

And yes i am going into the return.

and i also agree with what you are saying. i just dont think its a great power amp because thats not its initial function.

Ill see about renting a power amp from a music store in town.

any recommendations on that power conditioner?

7. BtsBassPlayer

BtsBassPlayer

Yeah it always sounds better with a cable to me. ( this is only in comparison to my ****** wireless unit i currently have though)

every bit of bass gear i have needs to be racked.

that line 6 g90 looks AMAZING! but ill compare it to the g50 and see if the price difference is worth it. ( comparing it to my needs obviously )

thanks alot for this tip!

8. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    If you have the basic or slightly better conditioner, it's a glorified power strip with some extra protection. In most cases the basic one is fine. It's what I used to use.

The $300 versions have power regulators. The smooth out the power, isolate the ground etc. If you're playing a lot of crappy clubs these can really help save gear. If you're playing lost of gigs powered by generators regulation should already be done, but it's nice to know for sure.

Actually, the Line 6 wireless sound BETTER than a cable. So much so that have to add resistance to make it sound like a cable. "Cable tone" knob. I rarely play with a cable now.

Mert: Try a Line 6 mic an get back to me. You're gonna be shocked.

The band I play for most often uses a Shure PGXD and a couple of SM58 wired. The PGXD sounds BETTER and it's the exact same mic.

9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

The Line6 G50 is well worth it over the G90. The G90 is rackmount and has a 300' receiver distance versus the G50's 200' transmitter range. Unless you are U2 or the stones, it's totally not worth it. Buy the G50 and don't look back.

It DOES sound better than a cable. I have own the G50 and have compared it to nice cables I have - G50 wins every time.

Depending on how the RBI is set, the overall tone may not be to your liking, the B2RE may just be a bad choice for power, and most likely the Audio Technica wireless unit is killing the tone before you have a chance to fix it.

Ditch the wireless unit first and see if your rig improves. I bet anything it will sound much better.

10. BtsBassPlayer

BtsBassPlayer

Yeah I am in denial about my wireless sucking so much. i think that has to go first.

So the g50 can be racked though? i sure hope so.

11. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    It's ment to go on a pedal board, but there's no reason you can't attach it to a rack tray

12. meRTKendrew

meRTKendrew

Got 3 of them!

I use lots of Sennheiser and Shure wireless stuff. Don't really like the Senns. The Shure stuff sounds better, but I still prefer wired.

RTK

13. BtsBassPlayer

BtsBassPlayer

so any recommended power amps in the 350-450 price range?

Im sure the concept is the same too.... sansamp to the power amp and power amp to the cab?

14. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

I'd seriously look at a QSC GX3 or GX5. Both are in that price range and you can run them in bridge mode down to two ohms if need be. Great amp for the dollar. Other wise I'd look for a quality known name if looking at used amps.