Help me find a used bass + amp locally?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by c01e0, Feb 21, 2014.

1. c01e0

c01e0

Hey everyone! I'm looking to learn bass.

I'm trying to keep my budget low-$200 would be ideal. I have no problem waiting for a while. I play a lot of punk and ska, but want the opportunity to play other styles as well. Also, I'm pretty sure I want a 4 string.

So with that said, what should I look for? I only see a few nice Bass and amp on Craigslist right now, but what should I keep my eye out for? Any particular brand?

Here's the stuff I've seen on Craigslist:
    5 string Ibanez
    http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/msg/4295436496.html

This looks too cheap to be good, Dean bass and amp
    http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/msg/4341302812.html

Fender squire jazz bass http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/msg/4307704105.html

Peavey amp
    http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/msg/4316427718.html

Ibanez bass and amp
    http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/msg/4298469791.html

Mysterious Ibanez bass and amp
    http://santafe.craigslist.org/msg/4330029602.html

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Go to a music store and rent! With rental you can get a better quality instrument and if you are still playing in 6 months you can buy a decent instrument and know what you want out of your first instrument. You also have the option to return it in 6 months if you stop playing, which is quite common.

3. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

At the very least, go to a store and try a few out. The ideal bass is one that feels and sounds good.

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Hit every pawnshop in your town. Try out every bass & amp in your price range.
    You'll know when you play it that it's the one for you. Take a friend that knows a little about gear. Pawnshops are notorious for over charging. Walk in with cash. Flash it at the employee if you find something you like. Research new prices. Don't over pay.
    If they wont deal, move on..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M0ses

M0ses

Ignore the Deans, get a Squier or Ibanez. For $200, you're not going to get both a gig worthy amp and bass, so for the amp, just grab something that works. The Peavey will probably do that, they're well known for being ultra reliable. Test it out and listen for undesirable distortion.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I would get the Squier Jazz for $110 and the Peavey Basic 40 for $40 and then get to work ... $150 and you are done (maybe a few bucks less if they accept an offer), and then stay off the TalkBass Classifieds and Basses and Amps threads ... spend your time learning and on instructional sites ...

... JMHO's .. and much easier said than done .. ;)

8. jd-ns

jd-ns

what he said ^^

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

+1 on trying a few basses out.

That being said, a lot of beginners start of on the Squiers and Ibanez Gio Starter basses.

Go to your local Guitar Center or music store and try some out. Perhaps they may even have something within your price range used. I bought a used Sterling Sub Ray four string for $149 at GC. An excellent bass for an excellent price.
    What is your budget for bass and amp? Is it $200 for the bass alone.

10. c01e0

c01e0

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll go to a guitar stored this weekend. I just get too excited when I get my mind set on something like this!

11. Maxdusty

It's good to be prepared and have a list of basses you want to look at when you go to the store.
    Also check out the online Guitar center website for used instruments. It'll give you an idea of prices for particular models. It's not all consistent mind you, but it'll give you an idea. Also, any basses you see there can be shipped to your door for about $25. So that probably increases your options right there. Here, I've linked it below and sorted it by price from low to high for you. The way you would buy an instrument here is by calling the store where the item's located and you can get his/her assessment of the condition etc before you buy it. I live in a small town so used basses are hard to come by locally. I've bought something like 30 basses now this way.

One of the hottest basses in the less than $300 category is the Sterling Sub Ray basses... I have 3 of them, great sound and value.

Edit: Try the basses out first at your local store- but know the prices beforehand.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedge...rice&dir=asc&srch&category=38&q=&distance=100

12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

+2 on the Squier, as long as you can try it out to see if it works. Do you know anyone with guitar/bass experience to come with you to give it a good once-over?

At a glance, it's either a newer 2013 Affinity or a 2010-or-older Squier Standard Jazz. I see open-backed tuners on it, whereas the pre-2013 Affinities have the cruddy (in my experience) closed-gear tuners. As long as it's functional and in decent working order, it should be a solid bass to start learning with.

Welcome to the Low End, c01e0!

13. c01e0

c01e0

Maxdusty, that is really cool! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

14. Maxdusty

That website updates every day as new used instruments are bought and sold so usually when you see something for a great price, you really have to jump on it or it will disappear quickly. lol. Prices are lower in most cases than what's usually selling on CL even if you factor in the shipping cost of $25. Also Guitar Center has that 30 day return policy so if you don't like it, just return it for a refund. What I would do is try the basses out at the store and then go online if there are used basses available for the ones that you do like. Price savings can be substantial, for example my Sterling Sub Ray I bought for $149 goes for $280. Bass is in perfect, like new condition.

15. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

OP, I would suggest that you fill out your profile as completely as you are comfortable, it goes a long way towards answering future inquiries that you will have accurately to your situation ... your location could be very helpful in a situation such as this, I know I have offered to help a few around me locally in the past in their search for gear, or even helping to set it up, etc ....

I am usually the one that says try everything, but at the same time you really have no idea what you need, or actually even like at this point, if you are brand new ... that Squier Jazz is pretty much bullet proof, if not abused, it sounds in the ad like somebody that is familiar with set up, etc is listing it ... and that little Peavey Basic 40 amp for $40 is better than money in the bank if operating properly .. I wouldn't even care what it looked like ... I have had many small Peavey's, currently two very old Minx (35 watt 110's) that I use for my practice and lessons (one was even used in an orchestra pit at the local playhouse) and an even older Basic 60 (60 watt 112) that I have used for rehearsals and small gigs with two guitars, keys and drums ... dont be fooled by the wattage on these old Peavey's, they are capable of much more than comparable amps with that rating today ... the Basic 40 that is in that CL ad could last you as a decent practice amp for the rest of your bass life .. I would at least look into it ... put your location up and ask if somone is available to go with you ... there has to be at least a few here on TB from your area if you are looking at those CL locations ...

Also, I do NOT usually recommend pawn shop basses for beginners, unless they are with someone who knows what they are doing, it doesn't matter how cheap you get it, if it has issues that you are unable to address ... I have looked at literally hundreds in pawn shops, and probably 80-90% are there because they need attention ... yes, I have found a few good buys, but mostly they were good buys because I knew how, and had the used part inventory to do what was needed to make them a good buy ... far too risky for the person at the other end of the spectrum in my opinion ...

... keep it simple and get playing ... JMHO's again ...

16. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Another option would be to just skip the amp for now and spend all your budget on the bass. If you have an iPhone, iPad or Android device there are several free or cheap bass amp and effects apps you can run through a pair of decent headphones. Once you get comfortable playing for a while then you can get an amp after you have saved up some more cash.

17. Maxdusty

Good point... also pawn shops are usually buy "as-is" - at least the ones in my town. Had a friend buy an electric guitar that looked great but had a neck that was bowed quite a bit but was told that it was something that could be adjusted- well, reason for that was the truss rod was broken.
    Actually in saying that, CL can be a little risky too if you don't know what to look for. That's why buying a used instrument from a music store with a return policy might be the best bet.

18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

You might find it helpful to read the reviews at Musician's Friend and such. Not to tell you what you want, and do not purchase based on that. But take that info into account when you try some basses out. It can help bring the bewildering picture to some focus.

19. Natejitsu

Natejitsu

OP, I live in ABQ. Check out Grandma's Music Store on the Westside. A bit of a drive if you live east of the river but their used selection is very good and very reasonably priced. If you have not bought a bass yet I would suggest going there. If my weekend wasn't so busy I'd even offer to go with you, but go there and tell them what you're into. I personally would never go with an Ibanez, but that's just me. I have only played one Ibanez I ever liked.

20. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

In my opinion, the best bass you can buy for under $200 is a Made in America Peavey Fury (which is a Precision-style bass). If there are none locally, then, as others have said, Guitar Center Used Gear website is great. Buy it and have it shipped to you. If you don't like it, return it to your local GC for a refund and try again.

21. BMGecko

BMGecko

Yo dude, check out Music Go Round on Lomas, they have a decent used selection most if the time and are good folks to deal with.