1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help me find the pedal for this sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jake Morris, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Jake Morris

Jake Morris Supporting Member

I'm wondering if theres a pedal out there that can get me this kind of sound in this video. --> . Deep, round, slightly punchy. I think its a Hammon B3 possibly? Don't quote me on that though as I'm not that familiar with my Hammons hahaha. I was thinking maybe a Moog pedal? I have no effects pedals and would like to start building my collection! :hyper:

2. Jake Morris

I know having flatwounds would help and a sick ampeg rig hahaha.

3. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Yeah Jake with a Fender P and a Fender Reissue Vintage split pickup in it. I have that exact bass with Chromes running through an SVT Classic and Ampeg 4x10. Pretty much that exact tone.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Pretty much any bass with pretty much any strings played through pretty much any amp can cop that tone.

Simply plug in turn up the volume and turn up the bass and roll off the tone knob on your bass untill you get that rumble tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jake Morris

Just another reason added to the list! Been wanting a p for a while now. Used to hate them idk why, but not too long ago I started digging them. But I just spent all my extra cash I've been saving for a while on a nice Benavente bass. So I'm still looking for an effects or recommendations other than buying a new bass or amp. I have a fender American jazz standard and for my rig I use a Tecamp Puma 500 on an SWR 410 Golight (Trading for Mesa PH410).

7. Mesa XI

Mesa XI

If you would need an effect to give a deep tone like that, you could probably achieve it with an envelope filter (I prefer the micro q-tron). If you set it so the envelope doesn't open all the way it will give a deep tone.

8. Jake Morris

I do want an envelope filter in my pedal collection, but that doesn't seem to quite get that sound of that organ

9. Jake Morris

Did some researching and found the EHX Hog pedal. Looks really nice and can get a lot of different tones. Anyone have any experience with them?

10. alec

alec

11. Jake Morris

12. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    I think a lot of the previous posters were thinking you wanted that low bass tone, not the upper register keys tone.

The HOG is a great tool with tons of options that you won't begin to scratch the surface of for a long time. It will get you pretty close to that tone, but there is some leslie and tube dirt action going on there above the organ that the HOG wont do by itself.

Here's some clips I made while I owned it. They aren't very good, but I was terrible at recording then. I'm all the way up to not very good at recording now.

This one wont have your tone on it, but this whole little track was made with one bass.

This one is just a basic run through of the tone of each slider, followed by the tone of all sliders.

The second half of this clip probably has some stuff you are interested in.

Other effects to look at: POG2, Eventide Pitchfactor.

13. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

eventide pitchfactor???

14. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

First off, it's not the B3 making that bass sound, look at 2:18 and you'll see that he's playing a synth for that. That will make life easier unless you really do want that B3 sound. Otherwise, a P-bass with flats would do the trick.

15. Jake Morris

Yea I noticed that and figured it was that but didn't really know. So would getting a synth help?

16. bassbrad

bassbrad

It has been said but you can cop that tone with pretty much any bass by turning the tone or treble way down.

I get an "organ tone" by turning the tone almost all the way off on my passive bass, use an octaver and play the line up an octave, deep phat and round.