Help me find the perfect string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Freez, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Freez

Freez

It has to be roundwound, and stainless steel; nickle dies on me too quick. I would like a string with solid mids, but not at the expense of bass or treble response, so looking for an even response across the tonal palette. Even tension across the strings would also be nice. Want then to be stiff enough to be punchy with nice harmonic overtones, yet loose enough for a clear fundamental tone; too much harmonics tend to weaken the fundamental to my ears. Also would like the string to retain it's tone for a long period of time, but I don't like coated strings. Does this string exist, or am I asking too much of a mere piece or metal?

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

3. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

You are describing Circle K strings to a 't'.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're probably going to have to accept a compromise or two along the way, especially when it comes to string life.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Freez

Freez

That's an ok compromise Jimmy; if I had to let something go off of my want list, string life might be the least troublesome. I'll give the DR's and the Circle K's a try. What about Sadowsky strings? I read in the Bass Player string shootout that they have pretty balanced tone, but not sure about the rest of the stuff?

7. Freez

Freez

Uh oh, just read at the Circle K website that their strings are a nickel/steel hybrid. Not loving that, my experience with nickel content strings has been that they die really quick on me. Any nickel haters out there with Circle K experience?

8. Dragan

Dragan

roto 66, they have familiar zing and tension. but for me,though you hate nickels, are ghs boomers. lots of grit,mids and long funky life!

9. Freez

Freez

Currently a Rotosound user, just looking for something different that will fill in some of what Roto's are missing. Can't use Boomers, those are the string that made me realize I kill nickels too quick! 2 hour practice, and they sounded like 10 year old flats, I kid you not. My body chemistry DO NOT like nickels!

10. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

I would try a set of DR Lo-Riders 45-105. They absolutely are the best ss roundwoud ever. Most consistent, last a long time, great solid tone.

I have tried sooo many and I keep coming back to these.

Also, dont forget to soak your strings in denatured alcohol when the sound dead. Brings em right back to life:bassist:

11. FourBanger

FourBanger

If you like that new string Zing, get ready to always use new strings. Like every week new, if not every gig.

12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Yup, you're describing new strings every week IMHO.
    Try keeping them super clean for added life span.

13. Dragan

Dragan

14. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Sadowsky Blue Steels. Great, bright strings that last for a long, long time.

I'm a DR fan myself, so Hi or Fat beams are my first pick usually. Lo Riders are great also, but I like Sadowskys more than Lo Riders. :)

For a softer feel I say Fat/Hi beams, for a more traditional/stiffer feel Sadowsky blue steels.

15. Freez

Freez

Well there's no ignoring the DR love shown here, so I'll give both the High Beams and the Lo Riders a try. Fat Beams, not familiar...My understanding is high beams more flexible, lo riders stiffer right? I've been itching to give the Sadowsky's a whirl too, the blue label set in particular. There's a lot that sounds good at the Circle K website, but the nickel content gives me pause. Thanks folks for your help, further comments welcome!

16. RBX4

RBX4

Fender Bass Strings

17. backup

backup

18. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Check out Labella offerings. These and the Rotosounds are the best IMO for SS.

19. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by Gallien-Krueger
    +1 for LaBellas...Hard Rockin' Steels are UNBELIEVABLY awesome for a non-coated string.

I agree, also, that DR Lo-Riders are great strings...consistent, but I don't agree that they last a long time. I get a week or two from them, at best.

20. gary m

gary m

Pyramid stainless rounds.