1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help me form an opinon on this

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    :)

It's rare that I don't know how I feel about something, but it happens...

I work in a highschool. The other day a kid said to me, "Mr., look at this." And showed me a college application he was filling out. Under "Sex:" it had 3 choices. Male, Female, and Transgender.

That's all.

2. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Unfortunately the very people who claim to be all about unity and acceptance in this country are the same people who insist on labeling EVERYONE. staying within TB boundaries that is all I am prepared to comment on.

3. blue4

blue4

Frankly i don't know what to say about that.

4. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

Transgenders have lobbied more successfully than hermaphrodites? :p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Why must you form an opinion about it?

7. eukatheude

eukatheude

+1

8. Pudge Fish

Pudge Fish Gold Supporting Member

My opinion is that too many forms ask too many questions. it seems to me option #3 is personal information. Like race, what good is that information to anybody? And mutts like me can't really tell. Some native American, some European, etc, etc. MY opinion is to push back and provide only applicable info. Male / female; useful for housing / facilities. the rest is politics!

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

You could do what I did, and simply accept it. Or even take it a little further, and think to yourself, "yay! Transgender people are not going to be discriminated against anymore!" and then wonder if that some school has unisex bathrooms. I mean, seriously, if you're a male, on your way to becoming female, who has undergone PART of the transformation, which box do you check? Male or Female?

10. Pudge Fish

Pudge Fish Gold Supporting Member

I think that person already knows which box applies to them. the rest just doesn't matter. making it a bigger deal is also a disservice to us all. Its personal, leave it off of public / admissions forms. simple.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Did I say I must?

Perhaps I should have said I have some mixed feelings about this, and would like to see/hear what others think.

Do you have no feelings or opinion on this?

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I'm in full support of the gay and lesbian communities as well as transgendered individuals, which is not the same as crossdressing. I don't know that a 3rd option is necessary as transgender individuals prefer to be treated as the sex they are changing to. I can only guess the question is there because the college's lawyers want to make sure that transgenders are housed separately from potential problem students.

13. Immigrant

Immigrant

We're living in an era that people don't have to wait until they're adults and move out of the folks' house to come out as an "alternative" lifestyler. I have a brother that used to be my sister and looking back, we all knew, even as kids. He didn't take the plunge until he was in his thirties and I can only imagine the hell he lived in up to that point.

14. Ironbar

Ironbar

My opinion on this subject would likely get me booted from this forum.

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

And RIGHTLY SO.

:eyebrow:

16. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    Rightly so why??

17. Immigrant

Immigrant

Because we live in an age where apathy and sensitivity are desired traits and those who can't conjure up those feelings in themselves will soon be the minority, and rightly so.

18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Actually not quite.

Granted straight or gay is too intrusive for an admission/employment app, but there are certain logistical considerations for TG's and those who will be in close proximity with them. Unless there are unisex bathroom/living facilities, where do you assign a TG looking for a dorm room?

I wouldn't have any more problem rooming with a TG than I would a crossdresser or a member of the opposite sex for that matter, but not everyone is able to say that and it could present a rather sticky wicket if say a young lady raised on the farm and in the church finds she's been paired with a girl who still has guy parts when she leaves home for the U. And what about a pre op M to F TG? Would they want to be roomies with an aggressive, loudmouthed male homophobe?

In a perfect world no one would worry about such stuff, but we live in a world far from perfect and there are still those for who things like same sex relationships and transgendered people are not only odd beyond comprehension, they represent a threat to some folks' salvation, at least in the eyes of those who feel threatened. I understand those fears are groundless and so do a lot of the rest of us, but there are still those who don't and should we have any less respect for their views when it come to their private space? In public we all do our best, but even in the workplace there are places where some folks would be very uncomfortable sharing a crapper with a TG for no other reason that simple modesty and that is only amplified when it comes to who you are willing to share a room with on a long term.

I am confident we will one day come to a place in America where such things as personal sexual orientation will no longer be a point of contention but in the here and now we are not there yet, and we must find a way to win over those who resist rather than dismiss them as freaks. I know they do it to those they don't understand, but we will never get anywhere as long as narrow mindedness is met with the same thing. Ain't gotta love em or even like em, but you do have to respect their rights as an American, even If they refuse to do the same for you.

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Personally, I think a lot of those details should just be removed from applications. I don't see the point in them if they're truly looking for the best candidates.

20. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    I would agree with most of that, but there also comes a point where it's just over the top. And in my opinion, that's the case when stuff like this gets added to College applications.

21. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I don't remember being asked my gender when I applied to college/university and I don't think that should even be on the application.

lowsound