1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help me go Phish

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by NightTripper, Jan 13, 2013.

1. NightTripper

NightTripper

Sorry about the pun. Anyway, for a long time I have loved the music of Phish/Mike Gordon. Skill-wise though, this music is completely over my head. So I would like to ask any fellow Phriends/Phans/etc. if you have any tips for beginning to learn their music.

Any techniques or theory I should research in particular? Are there any relatively easy songs by them I should try as an introduction? I would love to be able to play pieces like "You Enjoy Myself" but that is just too advanced for my current skill level. Thanks!
  2. kbodonne

kbodonne

I won't be of much help but I too am a phan and really dig Gordos style. He keeps it very groovy while the band is heavy on improv jams. I'd suggest incorporating a lot of different techniques in your style. He uses a pick frequently I'm pretty sure, not exclusively... A lot of his sound has to do with the sweet, phat and synthy tones he gets from his rig and effects.

To figure out the bass parts to a song like YEM you might want to figure out the roots and changes of each part first, and play along with it a lot to know the different parts the bass is doing in each section. Sometimes it may serve as the rhythm or it may a take a melody role, there are bass solos and fills all over those compilations too.

Here's a link to some Phish bass tabs.
    http://www.strangedesign.org/chords/index.php

You can google his rig, and these guys were talking about it.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/mike-gordons-gear-phish-reunion-524798/
  3. LightGroove

LightGroove

Just about everything on story of the ghost is easy...also sample in a jar. Gotta jibbo and sand are easy .. Keep in mind ALOT of their music involves playing off each other ...so get some good musician friends together ..lastly learn some symphony pieces playing the bass parts
  4. NightTripper

NightTripper

Thanks! Yeah, Gordo has a great setup. Someone posted a youtube link on here recently of him showing his rig and effects, crazy stuff. But despite the awesome rig, I think a lot of his great tone comes from that amazing Modulus.
  5. kbodonne

kbodonne

6. kbodonne

kbodonne

7. Rev J

Rev J

I'd go with Tweezer is a good place to start as it is pretty much a riff tune.

C/S,
    Rev J