Help me I.D. Hofner violin (please)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoePlaysDaBass, Nov 10, 2012.

1. JoePlaysDaBass

JoePlaysDaBass Gold Supporting Member

I'm trying to figure out the model of violin bass that Deerhoof bassist Satomi Matsukazi plays. I've been into them for a while, and finally got to one of their shows last night. They were incredible, and the bass tone was super thick, much more so than I was able to coax out of the Hofner Icon I used to own.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the actual instrument. I wasn't able to find any of the back, but it looked like the neck was 5 piece, with two dark strips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Looks like a reissue but Peacefrog is one of the resident experts on Hofners I think that thick tone had more to do with her amp setup than the bass I have two Hofners and they don't do thick without some help.

3. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

haha. Thanks Mjac! Hardly an expert,but I love Hofners! Always good to see you here buddy.
    That looks nice a very nice bass. By the blade pick ups and the smaller heel,[plain white nut, black switches ect, it appears to be a 70s model I think. That one has great color on it! Most of the basses from that era have darker edges.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Hey what's up Peace my baby you sold me is still going like a champ love this thing I knew you would know :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

What about that thick tone he was describing ? is that what the models from the 70's sound like or is it more her Ampeg setup?

7. JoePlaysDaBass

These photos were ones I found online, I didn't have the good sense to take any at the show. She was playing an ashdown rig, silver faced head with 5 band graphic EQ and a mic'd 410 cab. The EQ was set like 9,2,9,8,1. I was just blown away with how much serious bottom end it had, I was never able to get that much thunder from my Hofner through my MarkBass combo and mxr preamp. Its probably just the effect of running through front of house. Thanks for the help!

8. SirMjac28

I never heard of the group I'll have to check them out.

9. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Agreed looks like a 1970's Hofner that I once owned. I thought all Hofners were deep sounding, at least with good flatwounds on them.

10. JoePlaysDaBass

Thick bottom end is huge in the hofner tone, of course. This one in particular just seemed to have more of it (I thought).

The notion that its a 70s model is pretty much the info I was looking for. Perhaps the pickups on this one are the reason it sounded extra thick, or maybe I was just hearing things.

If you'be never listened to them, I recommend the album "Offend Maggie."