Help Me ID My Bass! (Mid 70s Fender P Bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by derrickcook1994, Jan 23, 2014.

1. derrickcook1994

derrickcook1994

So on my hands i've got this weird bass that ive had for a few years, my friend's dad bought this thing back in the mid 70's but thats pretty much all i know about its past. its appears to be a P bass with a Jazz bass decal on it, no date stamped on the butt of the neck, no date on the pots, and the body is routed for a single pickup+electronics. the back neckplate says "made in japan". it came originally with a pickup cover and thumb rest above the pickup which ive removed. ive had it for about 4 years and the thing plays like a dream. heres some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my first guess was it was an aria with a fender decal but after looking at the arias, theres a few things that differ (nut height, distance from headstock, type of pickup) that say otherwise.
  2. spaz21387

spaz21387

That pickguard doesnt look right for a fender. Usually they follow the cutaway. Im guessing its a 70s copy that someone put a fender decal on...
  3. derrickcook1994

derrickcook1994

its definitely an original from the 70s, just not sure which copy or remake. no idea on it honestly, just trying to get some background info on it.
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

It's a 70's Ibanez. Someone put the Fender decal on there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. derrickcook1994

derrickcook1994

im wondering how it got the pickup, i see ibanez's from the 70s similar to this but not with this pickup, although i 100% agree the neck is from those exact 70s ibanez's. the nut height and truss rod cover are spot on. whoever put the decal on did a crazy good job though, and when they sanded the ibanez off they also did it very cleanly.

EDIT: after close inspection, the truss rod cover on mine is larger than the ones on those ibanez's...hmm.
  7. derrickcook1994

derrickcook1994

another note, it looks like theres a slight gap on the right side of the neck where it joins to the body (more than normal), maybe suggesting this isnt the body's original neck...
  8. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Looks like some Westones I have seen.
  9. johnson79

johnson79

Whatever it is it's in great shape. Definitely not a Fender, but super clean.
  10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Here's an Electra that's almost identical -

[​IMG]
  11. derrickcook1994

derrickcook1994

no holes for an ashtray or pickup cover, no truss rod cover, headstock is also a different shape, different tuners, but the body is similar as well as the electronics.
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The bridge cover was almost certainly an add-on. Someone took a Fender Pbass ashtray and installed that themselves. Same body, same pickup. It's early 70's Japanese made by Matsumoku or one of the other contract-manufacturers at that time.

Here's one that's even closer to it.

*edit - that no-name bass has a P-bass bridge cover shadow, so I may be wrong about that.
  13. derrickcook1994

derrickcook1994

that one is it!!

edit: its definitely not the first one you posted though, the headstock shape is different.
  14. derrickcook1994

derrickcook1994

whatever company made that, mine's from the same line, the telltale matching characteristic is the pickguard dip on the right side. along with the matching truss rod cover and the ashtray and pickup cover.
  15. derrickcook1994

derrickcook1994

also, they definitely put a new pickguard on that along with new knobs. who knows that could have been my exact type of bass in the past.