Help me ID these strings please!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wyattharris, Apr 9, 2014.

1. wyattharris

wyattharris

I've been playing this EB-3 copy that belongs to a buddy of mine. He got it from his uncle and doesn't know what the strings are. I really like them and want to find out what brand and type they are. They look like flats, and and feel like them. The sound is flat-like, but with this nice round-like growl and clarity when you pop, dig in or use a pick. I think they may be halfrounds but they're definitely not daddario flats. Any ideas? hope the pictures help. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1397063375.678372.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1397063414.811225.jpg
  2. Steve

Steve

shortly, you will be asked about the ends of the string. Ball type...silk...color....
  3. wyattharris

wyattharris

Right, shoulda thought of that...
  4. wyattharris

wyattharris

There's no silk wrap on the strings.

I'd also appreciate recommendations for flats or halfrounds that match the tonal characteristics i described if i'm not being specific enough.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

They don't look like flats--that is, they look like they still have the round wound edges to them.

Do they have a little bit of the roughness of rounds, or are they quite slick like flats?

They do look like they might be pressure wound strings--rounds that are compressed to flatten out the peaks of the windings.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

8. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

I agree that they are pressure wound
  9. wyattharris

wyattharris

They feel more like flats then they do rounds to me, however they don't have the "stickiness" I associate with a lot of flats.
  10. wyattharris

wyattharris

I agree, I think they're probably pressurewounds. Never tried them but I think I'll do some searches. Thanks guys.
  11. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Previously rootsnfifths Supporting Member

I bought a used and heavily played Jazz bass with the stock Fender rounds on it a few years back.

Although they are roundwound, they were so dead they come close to sounding like flats. I love the sound actually.

I wonder if this is what you have on yours (dead rounds)
  12. wyattharris

wyattharris

No, they're not dead rounds. When you dig into these strings they have this growl that dead rounds don't have. I really hate the sound of dead rounds lol.

By the way the strings have gold ball ends, so if anyone knows which pressurewound sets come with all gold ball ends let me know.