Help me identify some flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dan_reeves, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

I played two p-style basses that I really liked the sound of the other day in GC and I am considering switching out my current strings for what I was noodling on. For some reason, I keep missing the tech guy and the other employees are not really bass players and have been unhelpful in helping me identify the brand I was playing. They were also unwillinging to crack any packages open to compare. Can you guys help me identify what I was playing before I buy for myself?

I think that I was playing D'Addario Chromes in both cases, but I am not entirely sure. I know for sure they were both flats.

Both were a dark grey in color.

Both had fabric winding on the tuning machine end. The first were blue, the second green.

Just based on feel (I have no prior experience with flats) my guess is that they were both Chromes sets, and the blues were regular gauge, the greens a heavier gauge?

Am I on the right track? Thanks for your help!
  2. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

Green may have been Fender 9050's
  3. RawOrange

RawOrange Not really an orange Supporting Member

Blue would be Chromes, I don't know of other flats with blue silks.
  4. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

The Chromes I've had have blue silks but they are wrapped at both the ball end and the tuning end.

The Fender 9050's I've had have green silks but are also wrapped at both ends.

I have a set of Labella's Original 1954 Vintage Style and they have blue silks at the tuning end only.

Hope that helps.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

I think you have your answer. oh and +1 to both
  7. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Thanks guys!
  8. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

I have La Bella 760FMs. They have silks only at the tuning post side.
  9. hotbass57

hotbass57

GHS Precision flats are purple at tuners only.
  10. donn

donn

Ernie Ball (both ends), La Bella 760M (tuner only.)
  11. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

If they were super smooth with nearly no visible gaps between the winds, they may be labellas.
  12. RawOrange

RawOrange Not really an orange Supporting Member

Shows what I know! Chrome are dark blue at both ends.
  13. donn

donn

It would be so great to have a comprehensive photo set. Ideally done by the same person, in daylight or near equivalent illumination.

I've also read that the Chrome blue is bluish purple. That probably reflects some confusion over the word "blue" -- true blue on the color wheel looks kind of purplish to a lot of people, and what we commonly think of as blue will tend to be closer to cyan. I bet you could tell the difference between Chromes blue and La Bella 760M blue, and even more easily Ernie Ball blue which is straight cyan - but don't know, I'm not looking at a good picture of the Chrome silks. Colors are one of those things where a picture is a lot better than words, especially a picture with daylight quality illumination.
  14. 1bassplayin

1bassplayin

15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Everyone would throw in a few bucks and have Jason from BSO photograph every string in his warehouse for the ultimate comprehensive list.