1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Help me identify this CIJ Fender P Bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by portaflexer, Nov 14, 2012.

1. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Hey all. I've had this pickup for several years and I don't remember exactly which bass it came out of. Unfortunately I did not write it down, but I remember if was a Fender CIJ P Bass. Honestly though, I'm not even 100% sure this was the original pickup. The red, white, and blue wires look a bit unusual, as I thought most fenders had black and white wires. Anyway... here are a couple pics. It reads 9.6 K Ohm on my multimeter. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2009
    run-of-the-mill far east cheapie, with steel slugs and big ceramic bar magnets glued to the bottom.

probably original, but who cares?

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Odd. Would fender have used those in the CIJ standards? I seem to remember the pickup sounds decent.

5. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    not odd at all, the MIJ ones usually were cheap ceramics like that; they worked, but like the rest of the electronics weren't as good as the instruments themselves.

6. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Interesting. My other CIJ (Geddy Lee Jazz) shipped with some really good pickups in it. Still, I ended up swapping them for some DiMarzios. I also had a CIJ Mustang Reissue that I sold a while back. That seemed to have a pretty decent pickup in it as well. I never pulled it out to have a look though. Thanks for the info.

7. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    well the geddy in particular comes with USA custom shop pickups, that's a big selling point for it.

i'm thinking more about '80s-'90s japanese reissues; some of the newer ones might be coming with alnico-rod pickups, which would be closer to the real thing.

i'd still upgrade them right away if they were mine, though.

8. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    I think it was a bass from the 1990s, so that sounds reasonable to me. Again... thanks for your help. :)