Help me mimic this sound...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by x52dcd, Apr 4, 2014.

1. x52dcd

x52dcd

Les Claypool, Bonnaroo 2006. I'm sure a lot of you have seen this clip. Not interested in a discussion on Les or his specific gear - just want another set of ears to help me dissect this so I can reasonably mimic it.

Jump to the 23:00 mark of the video below - Les goes into a pretty cool synth-ish groove, but it doesn't quite sound like the typical octave>fuzz>filter. Am I hearing an octave blended parallel with fuzz>filter?? Or, assuming there is signal splitting, maybe the octave is before the split so it can be fed into to fuzz>filter as well as blended in?

http://youtu.be/m77x-hlTEaU

I ask because I currently do not have a split/blend pedal, and I'm wondering if something basic like a Mosquite would suffice, or if I'd need to go to something with multiple loops like an LS2 or similar. Want to avoid bigger form factors (the sfx split+mix would be great!). I don't have an octave yet either, as I need to research what will work well with my Stingray (leaning toward MXR BOD). FYI, will probably just use my B3K instead of a fuzz so I don't have to add an extra pedal for one sound, and using a Proton for a filter.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Whether he is splitting and blending matters not IMHO. I've gotten similar sounds without blending.
  3. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

You wouldn't even need a fuzz for that sound. You could pretty easily cop it with the MXR BOD and BEF (in that order).
  4. x52dcd

x52dcd

Thanks for the comments - always find it interesting how we each hear different things! Guess I'll try and grab just an octave and go from there.
  5. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Agree that blending is not needed, just set the filter to only be working on the high frequencies and you get an apparent "clean" octave underneath. I also agree no fuzz, perhaps some mild OD at most.