1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help me out here

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Pills Are Yummy, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I'm looking to switch to a rack setup soon. I'm going to buy a crown xox power amp, but am having some trouble choosing a pre. I have a dakrlgass B7K, which I love in front of an amp, but I'm not sure if it functions well as a standalone preamp. I'm also wary of it's clean tones. I was eyeing the sansamp RPM. I was also looking at the verellen meatsmoke preamp, but I'm not sure if I can swing $700. I head the RPM is good for dirty tones, but the cleans suck. Perhaps I can get something that's good clean and just use the B7K for the dirt? Help me out guys. Thank you, happy holidays.
  2. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

3. 1954bassman

1954bassman

I used a Sansamp rackmount for a couple of years, strictly for clean tones, but I believe it was a RBI
  4. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Contact Ben at Verellen and see if the sale is still on it's around $200.00 dollars off last year it ran to the 1st of January mention you heard it on talk bass great guy to deal with and this pre is heaven the new version has separate controls for each channel I couldn't play without it.
  5. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I would save worrying about it until after trying the b7k.
  6. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Crowns require a 1.4 vrms input does the B7k have enough output to drive the Crown? I think they do but would like to know for sure? Otherwise you would need another preamp that had enough juice.
  7. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

No idea, there's no info on the output
  8. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I already own one
  9. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Perhaps I can jury rig a preamp together simply using the B7K, a comp, and a graphic EQ pedal?
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Nothing jury about it.

I gather you don't have the power amp yet. My suggestion stands. Try it, should go great just by itself, add whatever rack processing or pedals you need.
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Exactly. Try it out first. If if works, done deal. If you don't like it then worry about finding a preamp.
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I wonder if you're getting hung up over the output jacks. Someone who owns one can tell you what cable you'll need for your line out on the wonderbox. Probably a trs 1/4" to xlr male.