Help me pick a combo please

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by glorth2, Nov 13, 2012.

1. glorth2

glorth2

OK. Just getting back into playing after a long haitus. I'd like to get a combo that I would be able to use for practice at home place maybe jamming with people. Maybe I'm asking too much. Unfortunately, my budget is around $200 so I'm looking at used stuff. I checked out an SWR LA combo last night and felt it was way too distorted on low notes. I'd like to avoid Peavey if I could just because that's ALL I used back in the day and don't want to see any more. On my radar, I might be able to grab that Eden combo with the 8" speaker. Little worried about volume on that though. Also, I see a used Hartke Kickback 10 and an SWR Workingman 12 out there. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. neddyrow

neddyrow

Pretty low price range to get anything decent.

I've heard good things about the Traynor Dynabass 100. Price is around $235 on eBay.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Glorth,
    Well, I hate to tell you this but that budget of yours is a little low, currently either the Carvin MB110 or the Gallien Krueger MB100 are the most economical amps out there. Both of them cost, $299.00. Even the Traynor TB100 costs $359.00 unless it's used. Good Luck.

Ric

4. glorth2

glorth2

Hey, my budget's abysmal. I don't like it anymore than anyone else. Just throwing some stuff out there and I am looking at used.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. neddyrow

neddyrow

I've played through a buddy's ampeg ba 112 combo which sounded pretty good. I bet you could find a used one of those for a decent price. And if you don't need anything too big, you could get a used ampeg ba 110 or even a 108 for well within your price range.

7. eric.damstra

eric.damstra

The SWR Workingman 12 is good amp and works pretty well on the upright bass. Used one for many years without any problems.

8. moles

moles

For that money I'd keep my eyes peeled for some sort of keyboard amp maybe. I've noticed around here anyway that they can go for cheap on the used market, and they'll have as much low end as a small bass amp would. Either that, our used Yorkville stuff- I personally hate any of the new Traynor stuff, and shudder to think what it would sound like with a DB...that's just me though...

9. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner

Disclosures:
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    GK MB112 or Acoustic B100 are good values IMO. The Acoustic will get louder than the GK, but is really heavy.

10. glorth2

glorth2

Bumping. It was a lot of work, a lot of looking, a lot of phone calls and some disappoinment but I found a Hartke 1415 (15" speaker, 140 watts) at the Sam Ash in Clearwater, FL. Because there's some static when you bump or wiggle the input jack I got it for $209, shipped, as is. I got it yesterday and I am just blown away by the tone. I'm playing a $100 Squire P-bass through it and it sounds like I have active pickups. The thing just has so much punch. I love it. :hyper: