Help me pick a DR set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by volerium, Dec 29, 2013.

1. volerium

volerium Supporting Member

I'm looking for new strings to address several problems I'm having lately such as pain in my hands and several dead spots in my bass. I play a new 4003 RIC, use a pick going from light playing to hard both. Play a lot of double stops and bends. Rock music, punk, noise rock stuff.

I hated the stock RIC strings that came with the bass, loved Ernie Ball power slinkies, especially after they died down a bit and currently have Dean Markley blue steels 50-105 set that I like just fine though they're a bit stiffer than the EBs were.

I'd like to stay with either a 45, 65, 85, 105 or 50, 70, 85, 105 set.

I'm looking at either the sunbeams, hi beams or fat beams.
    Really leaning towards a round core to see if it makes a big difference in feel.

I was favoring the sunbeams but I haven't seen anyone mention them for a hard rock type of setting. Will they sound good playing double stops?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Sounds like you want Sunbeams. They will be a good bit looser feeling than Blue Steels and to me the 45-105 set feels wonderful. When I use a 'normal' string like Blue Steels I use 40-100 because they are so much stiffer.

You can also build a custom set at www.bassstringsonline.com if you want to, or he will get you the best price (and the TB user discount) on pre-packaged sets.
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/-DR-SUNBEAMS-Build-your-own-Custom-String-Set_p_321.html

Also, don't discount the Dragon Skins. They are HiBeams with the K3 coating added and they sound phenomenal. They have a bit more snap than Sunbeams and of course will last longer. But if you want more mellow, stick with Sunbeams.

3. ShowKing

ShowKing

Hi Beams are my string of choice. I recommend it.

4. Troph

Troph

For what it's worth, Fat-beams seem to have even less tension than Sunbeams, are rougher in texture (stainless vs nickel), and sound a bit more scooped (more lows and highs). These properties make them fun to slap, but are also very expressive fingerstyle. Marcus Miller obviously demos what they can do in competent hands with the right preamp and EQ. :)

Being nickel, Sunbeams are arguably easier to play and a bit less aggressive, especially the top end. I like both depending on the situation.

Both will have less tension than the EB Slinkys you were using. But I think the EBs would qualify as "punchier" strings overall.

Strings are a very personal choice. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

So what have we determined here?

Buy a set of each to see which you like better! That's what I ended up doing.

7. volerium

volerium Supporting Member

I know YouTubes full of everyone and everything and Sometimes its like god i wish these people would stop making videos. But when im looking for new bass gear im saying people need to post more videos! Ha. Found a couple good clips of people demoing sunbeams