1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help me Pick a Home Entertainment System

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Feb 9, 2014.

1. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

I have a dilemma. I want a home theater system, but I have some limitations. I don't want to run 5.1 speakers all over the room, and I don't want a soundbar. I want something that will stay on the end table. I want to be able to play music and run the TV audio through it. I looked at the Sonos Play 1 system, but you can't run your TV audio through it, and I'm not interested in paying $350 for the device that allows you to do that.

Give me your thoughts . . .

I've looked at the following options:

Sony CMT-SBT100 Micro Music System with Bluetooth & NFC
    [​IMG]

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System
    [​IMG]

I have a set of these at work, and they are great.
    http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO"]Bose Companion 3
    [​IMG]
  2. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

Here is a layout of the living room to give you an idea of what I'm looking at.

Attached Files:

3. RS

RS Supporting Member

Sub'ed. I am the same boat - I don't think I'll be happy with a sound bar but not looking to run wires and 5.1 set up. Just want some better speakers/sound for when I play music through my laptop to TV.
  4. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Budget? Vintage stereo gear will get you the best return on your money. A vintage receiver and some Bill Fitzmaurice speakers would give you killer sound for cheap.

lowsound
  5. RS

RS Supporting Member

Up to a couple hundred bucks maybe?
  6. SoonerMatt

SoonerMatt It looks like a mira- IT'S IN THE HOLE! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Fuzzhugger(fx)
    Here's what I did.

1. Panasonic Blu-Ray player with wifi and 3D ready tech ($80 used, can probably be found cheaper on the evil bay) http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP...qid=1391970423&sr=1-2&keywords=blu ray player

2. Vintage Pioneer SX-780 (can be found under $100 if you're willing to do some minor repairs yourself) http://www.ebay.com/itm/stereo-rece...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f302b2027

3. Pioneer bookshelf speakers ($70 used. I did a lot of testing and these had the best low mid and bass response, IMO) http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS...e=UTF8&qid=1391970658&sr=1-8&keywords=pioneer

TOTAL: $250 plus shipping.
  7. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

Probably $400 max.
  8. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

Also, the wife doesn't want it to be ugly or bulky.
  9. duff beer

duff beer

None of those tiny speakers you have shown can compare to a decent set of tower speakers.
  10. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

It's got to be small, bookshelf type speakers.
  11. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Then make sure you get a sub with what ever system you choose.
  12. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

Does anyone have any real experience with the Sonos stuff? It's pricey, but seems to get great reviews.