1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help me pick a jazz standard!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mikeyv123, Nov 20, 2013.

1. mikeyv123

mikeyv123

Hey guys,

So I'm going to be auditioning to Humber (Toronto) and I need to pick a jazz standard to walk around the chords with.

I'm relatively new to jazz standards but I know the most popular ones. It was suggested to me that I pick one that the instructor at the audition wouldn't have heard over and over again that day, so I would stick out and sound refreshing.

I was going to pick Autumn Leaves before that, reasons being: because I like the chord progression (mostly a chord per bar) since I'm new to walking bass this gives me lots of room to walk around before the next chord. And it's just a pretty simple medium swing, nothing too crazy going on.

But seeing how Autumn Leaves is so popular, lots of other bassists might pick this.

So can you guys help me pick a standard similar to this one that isn't quite as popular?

Thanks!
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Serenade to a Cuckoo. Or if you want to do a Latin, Como En Vietnam.
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Green Dolphin Street. Great tune with great changes, or maybe Nardis by Miles Davis.
  4. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Anything by Cole Porter
  5. Johnny StingRay

Johnny StingRay

My three favorites..........Days of Wine and Roses, Satin Doll, Sophisticated Lady.
  6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Cole Porters worth a mention:
    Our Love is Here to Stay
    You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To
    Love For Sale
    Night And Day
    Great changes, great melodies, and if you have a singer, great lyrics
  7. Snarf

Snarf Supporting Member

The Sorcerer. herp derp
  8. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda Supporting Member

Nuages, Stella by Starlight, or Four on Six at the correct tempo can be pretty fun
  9. mikeyv123

mikeyv123

thanks a lot guys, gonna try some of these out
  10. mikeyv123

mikeyv123

this is great advice, thanks a lot!

i think ive chosen "you go to my head" really like that one
  11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

And I DEFINITELY recommend learning the lyrics. It's not just about connecting to the emotional content of the words (although that's a good thing to have), it's the best way to develop a personal interpretation of the melody in a way that still connects to the written word. You don't have to phrase "...and you linger like a haunting refrain..." exactly as it's written on the page, but if you are just playing the notes and not the words you end up with stuff like

andyoulin gerlike a haunt ingre frain

And that not only sounds bad to anyone who knows the tune, it actually sounds awkward to people who don't (bitter personal experience).

Find a singer you like (but both Tony Bennett and Billie Holiday have great versions) and listen to them a LOT, try to cop their phrasing....
  12. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

^ Spot on Ed!!
  13. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

The Way You Look Tonight.
  14. ZenG

ZenG

"They Can't Take That Away From Me"
  15. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Solar, There will never be another you, Beautiful Love, Softly as Morning sunrise.