Help me pick a new 4 string - inexpensive.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Mar 28, 2011.

1. SteveC

SteveC

I've been playing my active 5 for a long time. I want/need a change. My hands are hurting and I want a smaller neck.

I don't want to spend a lot. I've done the "boutique" thing and no one cares but me. Other guys who play bass have not even noticed when I use a $300 or $3,000 bass. I'm done with expensive basses.

I've played a few inexpensive 4's locally (not a huge selection) and find I can go either way - passive or active - but I think I'd prefer passive. I think I prefer a Rosewood board. I also like a J/J set up for pups, but P/J would work, too. 21 frets would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

So locally, there's a MIM Jazz that's fine. There's also a Squier Jaguar that I go to often. The thing is, I don't know if I can play a Squier as my main and only (for now) bass. I know, it's ridiculous, but every time I think I've decided to buy it (sounds and plays great) I just can't pull the trigger.

Other choices in the under $750 range? Preferably under.

2. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Squier Classic Vibe Jazz. Put a piece of tape over the logo if it bothers you. No one will know but you.

3. jasononbass124

jasononbass124

I have a squier jazz deluxe 5 string that i got for 320 and they sell the 4 string model for like 30-40 bucks cheaper....

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If it bothers you, get the MIM Jazz. I have one and it's a solid instrument in every way. It's as good a J as my '63 P is a good P.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Go super cheap and get both a P and a J! A Squier Classic Vibe Precision and Jazz together would come in under $750 new and even less if used. Or you could get two of either and string one of up with flats and the other up with rounds!

7. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Any interest in a G&L SB-2 Tribute? I do have one in the classifieds right now with tone mod and pickup select switch.

Other good options might include Lakland Skyline 44-01.

+1 on a MIM Fender Jazz bass too.

8. SteveC

SteveC

They have a CV Jazz, a VM Jazz, and a CV P - in that pinkish Pino sort of color. All are great basses. I know I shouldn't care about brand. I preach it all the time. Time to practice what I preach I guess...

I wouldn't mind having both a J and P but unless I go the Squier route, it's too expensive. I have a little time tomorrow afternoon so maybe I'll go and try a few more things with a more open mind...and a roll of tape!

I play in everything from a funk/soul/R&B horn band, to church P&W to contemporary jazz to pop/rock covers. A P and a J would cover all my basses. toss in my EUB and I would be set. Maybe flats on the P to really take it to the next level.

I actually know someone who can make just about any logo/sticker you want for a headstock. Maybe come up with my own.

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

It seems hard to do because Squier's reputation in the past wasn't that good. However these new ones are amazing basses. Close your eyes tomorrow and shop with your ears and hands. Could be the Fender or the Squier. Let us know how you make out.

10. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

I think it's much more impressive to see a great player on an inexpensive bass than to see see a mediocre player on an expensive one. Headstock logo doesn't make a person a better player.

11. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

G&L JB-2. You should be able to find a used Trib in the circa $400 range or a used US one in the circa $700 range. They don't have the jazz styling (offset waist, pickguard, control plate) but they have the tone.

That's my 2cents

Oh yeah, or this one: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-mtd-beast-4-string-czech-made-tobias-753189/

Adrian Garcia turned me on to these when they were being closed out by the US distributer. Czech made quality, MTD design, Bartolini pickups. I went through a bunch and absolutely loved them. I'd buy this one except the nut width is 1-5/8 and a little bigger than I can take these days. Not rosewood but still a great bass.

12. SteveC

SteveC

I know. I'm trying. It's not like I'm in the studio every week or playing for big names or whatever. Just 3-4 nights a month in a few local venues and a wedding or private party now and again.

A CV Pino P and a CV Jazz would be a couple of nice basses for me and my gigs. I have an Avalon U5 sitting around as well. Anything sounds twice as good through that so...

13. Rockingbird

Rockingbird

Get the jaguar and put a new neck on it with a fender logo, or even your name or band name.

14. fordkisskrazy

fordkisskrazy

Don't know if this will help but I went into gc last week to get a fender mim p bass. I've been wanting 1 for so long, had the cash and there it was..... a brown sunburst p bass. Played it and couldn't stand it! sounded tingy, felt like... well you know. So looked around, played around, three gc's and 5 hours later I walked out with a squier vm p bass. I let my ears and hands do the buying, not my eyes or the name on the headstock. Out of three stores and at least 6 bass's 4 of them being fenders, 1 cv squier and the vm p bass. didn't like the way the neck felt on cv p. sticky I guess you would say but it sounded great. The vm I got, it just fit. Felt good,played good, and sounded like I think it should.(sounds even better with chromes) And with the cash I saved I've made it mine. Good luck to ya

15. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

What's humorous is that no one noticed when you played your boutique bass therefore no one is going to notice when you play a Squier. Except you.

16. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

So true, lol.

17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I picked up two MIM jazz basses since last november and both are excellent players. I paid $300.00 for one and a LOT less for the other one.

18. StringThing

StringThing

I think Newer Squires hold up if there is a good PreAmp. My VM Fretless was moved from almost there to favorite with the VT bass pedal. I had the VM jazz too and same deal. I loved flashing the Squire Badge, they were coming up to compliment me. if they were coming to criticize it would be another story i suppose. I like swapping up and finding used pickups and a Squire is great fun that way. And plan on using your hex key fairly often, but that ain't bad either.

19. SteveC

SteveC

I saw it. I've had G&L. They are nice. Not sure if I want a P/J or a P and a J. :D

20. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Choices, choices, choices. :) But that's what a P/J is. The best of a Precision and the best of a Jazz combined. :) Unless of course you were thinking peanut butter and jelly. :D

21. southgabass

southgabass

Another option to look into if you're looking at the neck radius is an Ibanez... those have some pretty small necks on them..... they fit your price range too =D