1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help me pick an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HunterBurgan4Me, Dec 30, 2012.

1. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Hiya, while i'm a good bassist i'm useless when it comes to rigs. I'm looking to upgrade from a combo amp to a stack and I need some help narrowing down my choices.

I use a 5string bass and I play metal, funk and everything in between, I do everything, slap, finger and pick and I play through a Fender deluxe active jazz V

I usually have quite a pretty compressed tone but I don't use a compression pedal just built into the amp as it gives me a fair amount of extra attack which is quite nice and evens out the transitions to slap bits. So if anyone could reccomend a fairly straightforward compression pedal that would be a bonus.

My budget for the entire thing is probably around
    £1000 (note british pounds) so I need an Amp head, cab and possibly a pedal

Thanks in advance :)

These are a few examples of the kinds of tones I like.

2. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Used SVT and 810
  3. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

+1
    you really cant go wrong with one of these
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Shop for used gear to stretch the budget, and whatever else you do, don't skimp out on the spkr cab. Bigger is always better, so 4x10 MINIMUM, or a pair of 1x12's, a 2x15, etc. powered by any good bass head 300-500 watts.
  5. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Used SVT+8X10

Trust me, you'll never look back
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If you can get that rig for 1000 British..I need to move across the pond. ;)
  7. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I got mine for $1800 US. if I remember correctly, the pound to dollar ratio is 2:1 so that would be 900 pounds

Get over here :bassist:
  8. B-string

US prices do not apply to imported equipment ;) I've already had two of them anyway.
  9. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Mine was used...
  10. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i think what b string is saying, if i may be so bold to speak for him, is that if it's imported and new there, it will have a higher value used and possibly be unobtainable for that amount. b string, correct me if i misread that scenario. still a very cool rig though.

i'd say not to overlook gk and hartke if the svt is out of reach. or maybe pro series?
  11. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Novel idea. An svt 4 pro would do very nicely
  12. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i have a genz gbe600 and it kills. got it for $500us. if you see one, give it a try.
  13. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

I've actually now got someone lined up to sell me a SVT pro 7 head for £450

I've checked out the sound and I love it, just what I've been looking for

Can anyone recommend a 4x10 cab to go with it?
  14. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

my gb xb2 is the best 410 i've ever owned. on the flip side, the ampeg pr410 i had i disliked. almost too much low end, trouble cutting through and heavy. that said, ampeg makes good cabs, i just didn't care for that one. loved (and miss) my 810e.
    someone who knows more than me will put in their 2 cents shortly.
  15. murphy

murphy

SVT Pro7??? Is that not the amp so many people have been having problems with?

Get a Markbass analogue head....or a Trace rig.......a Barefaced cab....Epifani or Berg cabs....or Ashdown JJBurnell rig.....or???

SVT all tube rig.....or Marshall.....or Traynor 300
  16. B-string

You were right on target :)
  17. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes!
  18. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

The SVT-7PRO, Rev. D00 is a stone reliable head. The Rev. C00 is pretty decent, avoid A and B series heads.

I have a Rev. C00 that has given me hundreds of trouble-free hours. If you really like the tube power section, though, there is nothing like an actual SVT, be it a CL or VR. They are absolutely phenomenal heads, and they pair up to an 810e like bread and butter. For the sounds you're looking for, an SVT-7PRO or SVT-VR with an 810e is as good as you're going to get.
  19. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    Would agree that a 4x10 is pretty much the standard, and SVT is a great choice. However, being a Brit I would seriously look at Orange, Hiwatt, Laney & Ashdown stuff before purchasing a rig from an American manufacturer.

You have the advantage of being able to purchase that great British tone without all the import fees we pay on gear coming from your folks - so I would take advantage of that.

That being said I would be looking at either an Orange 500W Bass Terror or an Ashdown ABM 500 head and an Ashdown 410h 650w cabinet. Should make for killer tone and powerful enough to stand on it's own.
  20. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I like this guys ideas. Listen to him.