1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help me pick my present!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pghjeeper, Dec 16, 2013.

1. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Ok wife is getting me a new bass for Christmas and I went to a local gibson dealer and here are my choices:
    1.) Epiphone Korina explorer bass brand new in natural or black with case for 375.00.....I know they are impractical but I always wanted an explorer as I'm a child of the 80's.
    2.) 1987 Gibson IV bass in natural finish. I played it and while it isn't light by any means I love the ebony neck and the tbird growl of the pick-ups. It's in decent shape with a good bit of finish wear on the back, it's only clear coat. It comes with a nice original Gibson hardshell cash.
    3.) Gibson EB-13 in natural finish with case for 750.00. I am blown away how light and powerful this bass is. It also has the thinest neck of the three and plays real nice.
  2. JACink

JACink

If you like all 3, why not let your beloved decide and surprise you?
  3. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

She would eliminate the IV because it's worn and get the epi because it's the cheapest and blingiest of the bunch
  4. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

So tell her you want one of the other two. :D
  5. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Only one of those I would personally be into is the explorer based on looks alone.
  6. GM60466

GM60466

Used P Bass here in the classified section
  7. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

I'd be skeptical of the EB with the thin neck, cause I've seen so many of them from the 70's that had huge necks that were bowed beyond most repair methods. You could find an American Standard Fender/used with $750, which could be an upgrade to your Classic Vibe.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

If you're confident that you can deal with the impracticality, then this one gets my vote. Way cool! I'm usually a "bassic black" guy but natural korina is cool too.
  9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

And as a result, would be making the right decision.

If you want an Explorer, get a nice model, not a cheap Epiphone. Gibson Explorers can be had used for well under $1grand. For slightly less than that, you can find a great Hamer Blitz. For a good deal less than that, you can have an Aria ZZB, which is far better than any new $300 Epiphone.

The Gibson IV is dated and ugly. A good example of a vintage bass that is not cool or desirable.

The EB-13 is the way to go.
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Heh.
  11. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

EB-13 all the way.
  12. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

I have more than just a classic vibe brother this is just another bass in the stable. I own mostly all Fenders....I have a 2012 American P, American J, 1983 P, 1978 t40, and the classic vibe.....I just don't own any gibsons
  13. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Honestly the epi explorers are physically very nice. Love the brass nut on them just like the 80's explorers. Probably just the pups and electronics that are cheap.